none
New User's Threads Automatically Deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• Can a forum administrator please check the flood of deleted threads in this forum, most from new users requesting that their accounts be verified. They are flagged abusive and deleted by "New Thread Spam Filter". I checked the activities for a few and they seemed to be asking legitimate questions in other forums. But the accounts are new, they have no points, and they have little activity. Still, they look like real people to me.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• OK, I just checked the sticky thread for people to request their account be verified. I think I counted 48 requests deleted in the last 7 hours. Agreed that cannot be right, but some still seem to me to be legitimate. If we now suffer spam account verification requests, new users will have a terrible experience.

So far, every one of the profiles I have checked for these users looks legitimate to me. I assume if I undelete they will just be deleted again.

I emailed fissues at microsoft dot dom about this, with an example legitimate question, request for account verification, and profile, all for the same user.

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I've just detected a reply in my inbox that has been deleted by the automatic spam filter,
    see Wrong Automatic SPAM Filter

I hope that isn't the reason for the deletion of other threads.

It can be checked adding ?outputas=xml to the thread url. The deleted content is marked as abusive.

Regards, Elmar

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:19 PM
  • The "Auto Spam Filter" has been around awhile (I believe) and sometimes makes mistakes. Usually they are quickly corrected by a forum admin. Your example might be related, but the cases I see are flagged by "New Thread Spam Filter". You can only see this in a forum where you are a moderator, so when I investigate threads by these users I generally cannot find them unless they are in a forum I moderate.

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:52 PM
  • This issue should now be resolve. Please let me know if you are still seeing this issue. Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Yes Naomi, that is similar. At first it looks like the user flagged their own post as abusive (which makes no sense), then it was marked again by the "New Thread Spam Filter", then it gets deleted. This was still happening as of about 4 hours ago, but maybe not since. Also, I see where an administrator is now undeleting some of these posts, with the comment "Issue with spam filtering". I think they are working on this, although I've had no reply to my email to fissures 9 hours ago. I suspect they may have disabled the "New Thread Spam Filter" in the last few hours.

Still, I don't know why so many requests in this forum for accounts to be verified. I thought we got maybe two per day, but there must be dozens today. Some people requested twice, undoubtedly because their first request seemed to disappear.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Did you restore all accidentally deleted messages? BTW, I'm seeing duplicates in T-SQL forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:54 AM
  • I'm starting to undelete messages in this forum, but there are many. I just unflagged what seemed like 75 replies in the "Verify your account" thread that admins had undeleted, but were still flagged abusive. Every user I checked looked legitimate to me, but I cannot check them all.

I am finding many duplicates, but is understandable. People post, then it seems to disappear, so they post again. I cannot keep track of the duplicates. The last task should be to delete duplicates.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:10 AM
  • The issue of marking posts as spam is resolved. We are still in the process of cleaning up the false positives and duplicated thread posts. This should be completed shortly.

Forums Program Manager

Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Maybe I should refrain from undeleting posts now. However, I'd like to address the deleted posts where the person asked a question, not to have their account verified. For now, I will continue to undelete these posts, and since most of these questions are in the wrong forum, direct them elsewhere.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Sorry to flood this forum with so many recovered posts, but I felt it was important that peoples questions not be ignored. The "New Thread Spam Filter" is either fixed or stopped, so new users can now post and not have their questions deleted.

I suggest that moderators should check for deleted posts in the forums they moderate to see if any legitimate questions were deleted. I found many. Some, but not all, had the spam flag removed, but I have seen none that were undeleted by the forum administrators. This task is not easy, as many people asked their question multiple times, sometimes in different forums, so duplicates are possible.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

I hope, the team has not set me as spammer here.

Regards,
    Shenoy P

Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:04 AM
  • shenoyp, you should have no trouble now. From your profile I see one of your replies in the Transact-SQL forum was flagged abusive, but is visible. A moderator should be able to unflag you reply:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/6b9f74c6-ff1e-494f-b5a9-ca82dcc2763a/#1a326ac1-593d-484c-a5e8-cc132e6d62fd

Sunday, June 2, 2013 12:46 PM
  • I cleared that abuse flag in this thread.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:46 PM