Problem with Vail. PCI storage controller related RRS feed

• Question

• Twice I have installed VAIL and twice after restarts it immediately brings up the recovery options, as if the o.s is damaged or unable to operate.

I have pinpointed it to, it has happened when I have installed my supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 and it's driver.  I get a warning from windows that the driver signature isn't recognized, I hit ignore because it's the driver cd that came with it.

Any suggestions?  I need to use this storage controller.

Monday, June 21, 2010 1:09 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid you're going to have to contact Supermicro for drivers for that HBA. According to the Supermicro web site here:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm

Windows Server 2008 R2 (the underpinnings of Vail) isn't a supported operating system. Very possibly there are no signed drivers available, and you need signed drivers. I believe the card is sourced from Adaptec originally, so you might want to see if they have a newer driver. I don't hold out a lot of hope there either, as the card is very old...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 21, 2010 4:35 PM
  • The difference is that there is a hard and fast requirement for signed drivers in all 64-bit Microsoft operating systems. You could bypass that in 32-bit Windows, but not in 64-bit.

Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:12 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid you're going to have to contact Supermicro for drivers for that HBA. According to the Supermicro web site here:

Windows Server 2008 R2 (the underpinnings of Vail) isn't a supported operating system. Very possibly there are no signed drivers available, and you need signed drivers. I believe the card is sourced from Adaptec originally, so you might want to see if they have a newer driver. I don't hold out a lot of hope there either, as the card is very old...

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:35 PM

That's what I figured. although it worked under whs (server 2003). Which isn't listed under the supported o.s either

Thanks

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:20 PM
  • ?

The base OS, Windows Server 2003, is listed. That's all that matters. Windows Home Server is bits on top, including bits that make moderate changes to the file system stack. For your controller, the base OS for Vail isn't listed, which means that there's no driver that you can load. If there were a driver, it would probably work fine with Vail.

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:25 PM
  • The difference is that there is a hard and fast requirement for signed drivers in all 64-bit Microsoft operating systems. You could bypass that in 32-bit Windows, but not in 64-bit.

Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:12 PM
  • I'm not using Vail, but I have the same card. Have you tried using the drivers on the CD from this folder?

\windows_3_6_3\build\windows\amd64\free

THe above folder location might be slightly different depending on what version of the CD you have. On my CD it's Windows_3_6_3

The card does support Windows 2003 EM64T according to the user manual pdf on the CD. It's worth a shot if according to the user manual the driver in that folder is 64 bit. If it's a signed driver, you might be golden. :)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:20 PM
  • ?

The base OS, Windows Server 2003, is listed. That's all that matters. Windows Home Server is bits on top, including bits that make moderate changes to the file system stack. For your controller, the base OS for Vail isn't listed, which means that there's no driver that you can load. If there were a driver, it would probably work fine with Vail.

Your right, I overlooked it.

Needless to say, to cosign, this card is old and I won't get any updated driver.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I'm not using Vail, but I have the same card. Have you tried using the drivers on the CD from this folder?

\windows_3_6_3\build\windows\amd64\free

THe above folder location might be slightly different depending on what version of the CD you have. On my CD it's Windows_3_6_3

The card does support Windows 2003 EM64T according to the user manual pdf on the CD. It's worth a shot if according to the user manual the driver in that folder is 64 bit. If it's a signed driver, you might be golden. :)

No dice.  Just tried it.  After windows updates, deleted my lan drivers and other hosts of issues.  i finally got to trying it out. 

went to the exact directories you pointed out on the disk, transfered them to usb, tried those, windows said not signed.

tried these, ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA/Adaptec_Marvell_H2/Windows/8_Ports/

they worked and were signed. adaptec processor device (psuedo) and adaptec sata hostraid

Now I have bigger issues.  i restarted, windows tells me whs has expired and to activate now.  Well first of all, I activated it yesterday. Second, windows just deleted my lan driver so I can no connectivity.

then it says, this copy is not genuine.  Interesting considering I got everything on windows connect, key and installed yesterday.

Oh and the dash never showed my drives nor could I connect my clients.

I give up on VAIL.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Well that's good to know that there are signed drivers, and the card can be installed in Vail with the drivers from the ftp site. I run an 8TB WHS system thats very stable, and I'm interested in Vail. As a matter of practice, I don't generally touch software that has not been released. I'm looking forward to it's eventual release.

I have brand new parts that I was going to use to upgrade my current server, but I'm holding off until the end of the year to see how vail evolves. I can still add more hard drives to my current system once I move it out of it's existing case into a mid tower with 3 5 in 3 Supermicro Hotswaps, so I'm in no hurry. Besides it gives me time to run network cable through the house. :) Thanks for the ftp link, and I'll pass on the information that the card can be installed into a vail system using those drivers.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:22 PM