trouble logging in using remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer WHS and recently I started having trouble logging in using the Remote Desktop Connection with either my user account or my personal account.

- I can use the remote console to log in

- the WHS is still backing up my computers

- I can use the web access to log in with my person account.

The Logon Message when trying to log in as Administrator says:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, they type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

The Logon Message when trying to log into my personal account says:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has that right, of if the Remote Desktop Users group does not hve this right, you mist be granted this right manually.

HELP!

PS - I was able to log in before!

Sunday, October 10, 2010 10:58 PM

All replies

• PS - I was able to log in before!

Doubtful. the only account which can log on to your server using Remote Desktop is the Administrator account, unless you've explicitly grnated the additional permissions to another account. And if you've done so, that other account will then be prohibited from logging in to your server's Remote Access web site; this is done as a security measure.

To log in using Remote Desktop and the administrator account, when asked for a user name enter Administrator, and enter the console password as the adinistrator's password.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:15 PM
  • I do not typically use the remote desktop - I usually just use the connector. I have logged in using the remote desktop before because I had to install Python and pyTivo. I recently tried the remote desktop without luck regardless of the account. Administrator and my Personal account both fail with the messages I listed above. I tried this from both my laptop and from my desktop with the same results.

The Windows Home Server Console still works as does the backup.

if it provides information, I installed the Advanced Admin Console plug in and can bring up the desktop that way.

The homeserver.com site also works for my personal account - I have not tried administrator as I believe it is prohibited.

Don
    Monday, October 11, 2010 1:06 PM
  • The fact that you can log in using the console means that there's nothing wrong with remote desktop, or with the administrator account. The console is an applicaiton running on the server, and brought out to the client via a remote desktop connection with all chrome removed.

Try entering the user name as <servername>\Administrator when logging in using Remote Desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 11, 2010 1:39 PM
  • I wish I could post a screen snapshot.

I tried the <myserver>\Administrator with the Console password and received the same error message! I am perplexed.

Don
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I wish I could post a screen snapshot.

I tried the <myserver>\Administrator with the Console password and received the same error message! I am perplexed.

Don

is there any way I can post a picture of the error messsage I am getting.

I have two computers - neither one can connect using the remote desktop connection though I can use the connector software from either. honest- that is the problem I am having. What can I try to restore the remote desktop connection

Don
    Friday, October 29, 2010 11:27 PM