OCS Won't start RRS feed

• Question

• This is the event log error I recieve when the services were tring to start.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7024
    Date:  5/4/2007
    Time:  10:39:02 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: WEBSERVER
    Description:
    The Office Communications Server Front-End service terminated with service-specific error 3287185878 (0xC3EE79D6).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This server has sql 2005 standard installed on it if that makes a difference at all.

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:36 PM

Answers

• Nick,

Have you been able to create the SQLServerName\RTC database instance on your SQL 2005 Server? The OCS 2007 installation contains scripting that creates the SQLServerName\RTC database instance. The SQL 2005 Server instance has to be created by the OCS 2007 installation program . To create a SQL Server instance and databases w/ database objects the SQL 2005 Server that is included in your OCS 2007 install will have to have the user account that you are logged on with as a member of its SQL Server sysadmin role. By default members of the local and domain admins roles are added to the sysadmins role. This information is listed in the sysadmins group under the security node in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager console. Please make sure that you have the corrct permissions to create the SQL serverinstance and the needed OCS databases.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is this a OCS 2007 SE or EE install. Is the topology expanded or consolidated?

If you are using OCS 2007 SE and installed the product with SQL 2005 then the OCS SE setup may or may not have created the RTC database on the legacy install of SQL 2005 and not installed the copy of SQL Server 2005 that ships with the product. Please clarify this for me.

Thanks

MIke Adkins  -  OCS 2007 beta supprt team

Friday, May 4, 2007 4:01 PM
  • Mike,

It is the OCS 2007 SE and how can i find out if its the explanded or consolodated topology.  The setup failed to run the sqlexpress installed as per the log

Failure
    [0xC3EC7A0B] Installation or upgrade of SQL Express RTC instance failed. If upgrading an existing installation, please ensure that components such as the SQL client tools are not actively in use. If installation still fails, a manual installation may be attempted by executing "SqlExpr.exe INSTANCENAME=RTC" from the setup directory

But I then ran the SqlExpr.exe and it showed that there was an instance of RTC installed.

Thanks

Friday, May 4, 2007 4:05 PM
  •  

I tried to do a uninstall then reinstall and it's giving me th same error.

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Hello,

The OCS SE will install the followingt SQL Server components that will be listed in Control Panel / Add Remove Programs

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client

Microsoft SQL Server Support Files

Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

LCS 2005 SP 1 will install Microsoft SQL Server (MSDE) RTC - verbatim

If any of these are visible here please remove them. Also a good place to look for the MSDE RTC is in the Services MMC

By default the RTC database files are installed at c:\LC Data and c:\LC Log. The SQL Server binaries wwill be installed under c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server.

Let's see if there is a legacy or partial install of SQL Server on the computer

Please reply

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:14 PM
  • Mike,

We have sql server 2005 standard installed on this server and are using for other applications all of the above programs are listed execpt Microsoft SQL Server (MSDE) RTC.  Is there any way ocs se can use sql standard instead of the version it installs?

Thanks for you help,

Nick

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Nick,

The OCS SE documentation says this - SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with SP2 is installed automatically on the Standard Edition server if you do not already have it installed . The OCS SE works with a local installation of the new  SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with SP2  which is replacing the use of the outdated SQL MSDE database.  I'll post more information shortly.

Thanks,

MIke Adkins

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Nick,

When you access the installation of SQL sever 2005 from the configuration manager, has a RTCDyn, RTC and RTCconfig database been created? For the OCS Server to be able to acces the RTC database it must first have permissions to login or access the SQL Server 2005 server. This will be listed under Security\Logins the RTC Local groups should be listed here. When you expand the list of database you should be able to see the RTC and related OCS databases.

SQL Server Logins

RTC Component Local Group

RTC Local Administrators

RTC Local Read Only Administartors

RTC Local User Adminstators

RTC Server Local Group

Databases

RTCDYN

RTC Component Local Group

RTC Local Administrators

RTC Local Read Only Administartors

RTC Local User Adminstators

RTC Server Local Group

RTCConfig

RTC Local Administrators

RTC Server Local Group

RTC

RTC Local Administrators

RTC Server Local Group

Please reply

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Mike,

How do I tell OCS to use the webserver instance or sql instead of the webserver\rtc.  I stop the sql 2005 express server and the attached the database to the sql server and created all of the acocunts and now i get these errors in the event viewer.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OCS Protocol Stack
    Event Category: (1001)
    Event ID: 14420
    Date:  5/10/2007
    Time:  1:58:03 PM
    Description:
    Server startup is pending as server is unable to connect to SQL Server.

Retries left: 599.
    Cause: WMI is unable to query the back-end database for server configuration. Server cannot start until database becomes available.
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the back-end SQL server is available and there are no connectivity issues.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: OCS WMI Consumer
    Event Category: (1002)
    Event ID: 20493
    Description:
    Server could not retrieve information from the database.

Back-end: (local)\rtc HRESULT: 0x0x00000000
    Cause: This could happen if connection to SQL back-end is down or if permissions to the service account are altered.
    Resolution:
    Make sure that connection to SQL back-end is functional and the account the service is running under has proper privileges.

Event ID: 20482
    Description:
    Server could not retrieve its initial configuration for a class from the WMI Provider.

Class: MSFT_SIPProxySetting
    Cause: This can occur if the connection to Active Directory or SQL back-end database is down or if permissions to the service account are altered. Retrieval can also fail if an invalid entry is entered in the class using the UI or WMI or if corruption occurs in local WMI repository.
    Resolution:
    Make sure the account the service is running under has proper privileges and that connection to Active Directory or SQL back-end database is functional. Verify an identical entry does not exist as a direct federation partner or an IM service provider.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Ken,

The OCS 2007 installation program is scripted to create the SQLServerName\rtc instance and add the OCS required databases and permissions to that SQLServerName\RTC instance. Are you able to create / install the RTC instance on your SQL Server 2005 server? If not then make sure that the account that you are logged into the Windows 2003 server that has SQL 2005 SE installed on it is a member of the local administrators or a member of domain admins group. If so make sure that the SQL 2005 Server is hosting this account as a member of its sysadmins adminstrative role. You will have to be able to log into the SQL server abd create the database and database objects this will require the SQL Server sysadmin role

Thanks,

Mike Adkins

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Nick,

Have you been able to create the SQLServerName\RTC database instance on your SQL 2005 Server? The OCS 2007 installation contains scripting that creates the SQLServerName\RTC database instance. The SQL 2005 Server instance has to be created by the OCS 2007 installation program . To create a SQL Server instance and databases w/ database objects the SQL 2005 Server that is included in your OCS 2007 install will have to have the user account that you are logged on with as a member of its SQL Server sysadmin role. By default members of the local and domain admins roles are added to the sysadmins role. This information is listed in the sysadmins group under the security node in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager console. Please make sure that you have the corrct permissions to create the SQL serverinstance and the needed OCS databases.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Whilst we on the SQL topic, i find the following error in my OCS Log.

Instalation went fine, but seems like i have a permission issue:

Event Source: OCS WMI Event Provider
    Event Category: (1027)
    Event ID: 56010
    Date:  2007/05/15
    Time:  03:49:20 PM
    Computer: ZASBSJHBOLCS001
    Description:
    The WMI event provider has failed to retrieve the initial settings of a class. Will retry again.

Class name: MSFT_SIPGlobalMeetingSetting
    Retry in 300000 milliseconds

Event ID: 20481
    Date:  2007/05/15
    Time:  03:49:21 PM
    Computer: ZASBSJHBOLCS001
    Description:
    Server could not register for notifications for configuration changes for a class from the WMI Provider.

Class: MSFT_SIPProxySetting
    Cause: This could happen in some instances due to insufficient permissions or because the server is unable to contact the Active Directory (or SQL back-end).
    Resolution:
    Please make sure you have sufficient privileges and this computer can talk to the Active Directory (or SQL back-end).

I started another post: OCS 2007 Services Dont Start  with more error messages.

Regards,

Dasgood!

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Hi Nstandke,

It looks like you have been getting some great help from Mike. Can you let us know the status of your issue? Please let us know if you were able to resolve your issue.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Interesting - I had my OCS working until an overzealous admin Service Packed my server, which caused everything to stop.  I removed and re-installed - then experienced the same problem:

The Office Communications Server Front-End service terminated with service-specific error 3286842439 (0xC3E93C47).

After many attempts, changes and reinstalls - I removed everything, tidied the server up and created a pool with a different name.  This worked.  Not the most technical outcome but I felt the domain (fortunately a development domain) was poisoned for the original pool name.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:52 AM
  •  

Well I know this particular issue seems to have been caused by an imcomplete SQL installation, but I had the very same error messages when trying to start the services... I my case, it was the certificate that had a wring "subject name" in it.  recreated the certificate and VOILA..
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:19 PM