Can't import .ofx RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I was having a problem with an .ofx file being imported directly into Money. Today when I went to download it from my bank, I had the option (for the first time) to download the file. I downloaded ofxdnld.ofx to a folder, then went to import the downloaded statement, and got the error message "You cannot perform this operation right now. There is an online operation in progress. Try again later."

How can I find out what the "online operation" is? When I start Money, I always click "Work offline" before clicking Next.

I've 'tried again' later, but it still doesn't work. I've also re-downloaded the statement and rebooted. OFX Analyzer didn't find any problems with the file.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Microsoft Money 2006 Standard Edition
    Canadian Edition
    version 15.0.80.513

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

• You have been using that version for quite a while. If I were you, I would install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset  plus the patch onto a different computer. See if it can convert your *.mny file. Then if that works, do the install onto your regular computer. That way you will be using a version with some advantages and one used by a lot more people. Money Plus would let you remove the Windows Live ID so that you don't have to select to work offline each time.  The reason that I would try it on a different computer is in case there is an incompatibility that I don't know about. Or if you do it on your regular computer, I would create a restore point, and then be careful during the Plus install to change the default of having Money Plus uninstall older versions. It is possible to have both installed at the same time, but the latest-installed will be associated with filetypes such as OFX and QIF.

In your account list, is there an entry in the "to review" column?

Whichever version you use, I would set up the Windows Firewall to block access from whatever you are using. This should keep the program from waiting for online connections.  This may or may not help with the immediate problem. It will speed up opening and closing of Money.

So put a Windows firewall block in place to keep Money from waiting for some Internet server that no longer exists.   https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/ tells how.

Monday, October 3, 2016 2:55 PM
  • I didn't have any transactions waiting to review.

I tried downloading that statement again, and Internet Explorer asked "Do you want to open or save". But this time I clicked "Open". I got a box saying "The information has been received and will be imported the next time you run Money. Do you want to start Money now?" I clicked No, started Money myself, and then saw that there were transactions waiting to review.

My preferred method is to download the .ofx to disk first, then import it into Money. I don't know why that doesn't work for this particular bank, but at least there is a work-around.

2006 was the last Canadian version. My assumption was that Sunset just removed the online functions, and didn't add any new features. Now that it's working again, I'm too afraid to make any changes. My plan is that when I eventually buy a new computer (probably Windows 10) I will install Sunset on that and try to convert my .mny file.

What is the Sunset patch? Is that the patch to change the Windows 10 registry?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:14 AM
  • The Sunset patch is a change to a DLL that has a coding bug. That bug causes the code to take a jump based on what happens to be in a particular spot. What happens can vary when he OS changes, so just because there is no symptom now, the patch should be implemented.

I think the Canadian 2006 had less function than Deluxe.  Also, Sunset gives various advantages over version 2006. One is that the spinoff function works. You can also change investment type for a security. You can backup to USB flash drives with more than 2GB of free space. I like to make my scheduled backup to a USB flash drive while letting the upon-exit backup go to the hard drive.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I've searched Microsoft but can't find the patch. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Look at the two "sticky" messages at the beginning of this forum.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 9:03 AM