Unable to remove empty healthy hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having some trouble with one of my drives in WHS and was hoping someone here would be able to help.  My situation is as follows:

• I have a seemingly empty drive on my WHS server.  The drive shows basically empty in disk management and no matter what, WHS will not save any files to the drive.
    • The drive appears to be healthy.  Hasnt shown any issues in diagnostics and works fine if I pull it out and throw it in my desktop
    • When I attempt to remove the drive while it is physicallt in, WHS gives me an error saying there is not enough space, which is not true as I have about 5TB free not including this drive.
    • When I physically take the drive out of the system and try to remove it I'm given the following error: "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal"

I'd like to resolve this using a method that doesnt involve re-installing WHS if it's possible.  Has anyone seen this before?  I've been running this server for over a year near and everything else has gone smoothly.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:46 AM

Answers

• After a few days of tinkering I was able to solve this by changing a few things in the registry.

In the registry for each disk there is a key entry in the Disks and Volumes folders at the following location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager.  I was a bit hesitant about removing these two keys for the disk entirely as I saw mentioned online a few places, since I wasn't sure if this would cause more problems.  So I decided to look through the keys and compared them to the keys for my other data drives to see if there was anything abnormal and noticed a few oddities in the volumes entry.

First, there was no "SnapPeriod" key, and no Attributes/"QRole" key, and the Attributes/"VolumeType" key was blank (while others were set to 10 hex).  Since all the other drives had these keys, and set to the same values, I created them in the volumes folder for my bad drive as well.  I rebooted, and was able to remove the drive with no issues at all.

In short it looks like WHS screwed something up while it was installing the drive and did not write the correct entries in the registry.  Never heard of this issue before but I'm sure strangers things have happened.  It doesn't look like this issue had anything to do with the drive itself, though I'm a bit superstitious so I'll probably just keep this one in my desktop from now on. :-)

Hopefully if someone runs into this same issue it will save them the headache I went through.

Disclaimer: messing around in the registry can fubar things, so be careful.

• Marked as answer by Jeff RM Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:30 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• I've been having some trouble with one of my drives in WHS and was hoping someone here would be able to help.  My situation is as follows:
    • I have a seemingly empty drive on my WHS server.  The drive shows basically empty in disk management and no matter what, WHS will not save any files to the drive.
    • The drive appears to be healthy.  Hasnt shown any issues in diagnostics and works fine if I pull it out and throw it in my desktop
    • When I attempt to remove the drive while it is physicallt in, WHS gives me an error saying there is not enough space, which is not true as I have about 5TB free not including this drive.
    • When I physically take the drive out of the system and try to remove it I'm given the following error: "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal"

I'd like to resolve this using a method that doesnt involve re-installing WHS if it's possible.  Has anyone seen this before?  I've been running this server for over a year near and everything else has gone smoothly.

Are you sure there are no files left on the drive?  Do you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" disabled?  Does it give you any details when you get the "File conflicts...." error message?
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I have those settings configured as you said above, and can confirm that there are no shared files on the drive.  I hooked up this hard drive to my desktop and the only files present were the QSM_VolumeID and DE/DEguid.txt which as I understand are standard WHS system files?

WHS does not give any additional detail beyond the standard "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal"message.  I also looked in the event viewer and didn't see any related messages.  Also, when I unplug the drive I get the standard disk missing error, but WHS does not report any file conflicts and I don't have problems accessing any of my data.

The only thing of note is that within the DE/Shares folder there are folders for some of my shares, and lots of blank folders within those.  There are no files of any kind in any of the folders.  Is this normal?

Monday, April 25, 2011 12:49 AM
  • After a few days of tinkering I was able to solve this by changing a few things in the registry.

In the registry for each disk there is a key entry in the Disks and Volumes folders at the following location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager.  I was a bit hesitant about removing these two keys for the disk entirely as I saw mentioned online a few places, since I wasn't sure if this would cause more problems.  So I decided to look through the keys and compared them to the keys for my other data drives to see if there was anything abnormal and noticed a few oddities in the volumes entry.

First, there was no "SnapPeriod" key, and no Attributes/"QRole" key, and the Attributes/"VolumeType" key was blank (while others were set to 10 hex).  Since all the other drives had these keys, and set to the same values, I created them in the volumes folder for my bad drive as well.  I rebooted, and was able to remove the drive with no issues at all.

In short it looks like WHS screwed something up while it was installing the drive and did not write the correct entries in the registry.  Never heard of this issue before but I'm sure strangers things have happened.  It doesn't look like this issue had anything to do with the drive itself, though I'm a bit superstitious so I'll probably just keep this one in my desktop from now on. :-)

Hopefully if someone runs into this same issue it will save them the headache I went through.

Disclaimer: messing around in the registry can fubar things, so be careful.

• Marked as answer by Jeff RM Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:30 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:30 AM