back-up taking up to much space. RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare is backing up on an external hard drive and it is taking up to much space.  The backup folder is 257GB and that is over half of my external hard drive.  My external hard drive only has 22.8 GB left on it now.  In the Windows OneCare Backup folder on my external hard drive I have 2 subfolders one is titled 2008 and the other is 2009.  I tried to delete the 2008 folder but it is protected and won't let me.  Any suggestions?  The backup folder is taking up way to much room on the external hard drive.  I have only used 140 GB on my hard drive in my PC.  How do I get rid of some of the extra stuff it is backing up.

Thanks,

Christy

Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• The best way to recover the space used by One Care backups is to delete them all and then perform a new complete backup. See this post on how to delete One Care backups - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Thanks for all of the help.  I deleted the 2008 folder and it is has freed up lots of space.

Christy
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Thanks for all of the help.  I deleted the 2008 folder and it is has freed up lots of space.

Christy

Glad that you were able to find the solution here. Thanks for confirming!
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:00 PM
  • hi, there followed the steps above and each time i try to delete i receive an error message saying;
    "cannot delete DO_NOT_DELETE.globalCatalog:Acess is denied"
    also each time my one care (my laptop) backs up to the external hard drive which is connected to my parents pc is does not over write (as so to speak)
    the previous back up and is resulted in 6 backups which are each 20/30gb in space, which as you can guess has filled up my external HDD
    how can i fix this problem without hopefully having to re format the external HDD?
    many thanks
    geo248
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:43 AM
  • You have to follow the steps in the process in detail. If you are getting the access denied message, you have not changed the permissions on the backup catalong file and likely not the other files and folders as well.
    If the external drive only contains the OneCare backups, formatting the drive is the easiest solution. If you need to delete the existing backups, but preserve other data on the drive, you may need to repeat the process for taking ownership and deletion of files and folders starting from the lowest level folder to the highest level. So, within the top level backup folder, navigate downwards into the structure to the folder for the specific PC and share the files and folders working your way upwards. Navigate back down to the actual backup files, and delete them - when the folder is empty, delete the folder.
    Note that each backup never overwrites the previous backup files. The first backup for a PC is a "full" backup and all subsequent backups add more zip files containing the new and changed files since the last backup. Nothing is ever deleted.
    If you need help with the cleanup of old backups, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:55 AM