How To Migrate Data from WHS 2003 to WHS 2011 on same network RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS 2003 and just added a pc running WHS 2011.  I can not connect to the new WHS 2011.  I can see the new WHS 2011 in my network report.  Do I need to back up my data from WHS 2003 to a external drive and then disconnect the WHS 2003 and then copy the external drive to the new WHS 2011?  There must be a way to copy from server to server.  When I try http://servername/connect" I get the "I don't have rights" error.  Tried to do a desktop remote connection to the WHS 2011 and receive the same error.
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 2:03 AM

All replies

• You can have both servers running at the same time on the same network (make sure they have different IP addresses) but you can only have one version of the connector software per PC - each version of WHS has its own connector and can't be used interchangeably, so no reason to turn off WHS1 to use WHS2011. However, you should be able to Remote Desktop to your servers - use "Administrator" and whatever password you set.

To copy data, you should be able to copy from one set of shared folders (as accessed by your client PCs) to the other via your LAN - if you have GB LAN, it should copy at around 50MB/sec.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 3:24 AM
  • Copy share to share using any client computer (this will be fairly slow, as the data needs to flow from server A to the client, then to server B), or log in to one server or the other using a desktop connection (Remote Desktop or physically connected monitor etc.) and copy share to share that way. Or shut down the V1 server, then pull drives one at a time, connect them to the 2011 server, and copy from <drive>:/DE/Shares/etc. to the appropriate folders on the 2011 server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 3:28 AM