Replacing my motherboard question? RRS feed

• Question

• I am replacing a intel motherboard with an asus.  I have several drives in my pool. 

1.  DO i need to plug my sata drives back in the cooresponding order on the new board.  (ex.  Sata2 connection to sata2 on the new board)

2.  Once I swap the motherboard, do i just boot the system?  or do i need to do a restore.  I have several apps installed, so a fresh install is not an option.

thanks!
    Monday, September 15, 2008 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    from my experience it is recommended, to keep the sequence on the controller. For the boot disk it is crucial (although you may be able to select it in the Bios) while all other disks are recognized by their ID.
    If the system boots up or not, is also a matter of drivers. If you stay in the same chipset/CPU family, the problems should stay under control and the initial boot succeed.

But should means not, that you can be sure for 100%. (You know, IT is a little bit adventurous as well ...)
    In worst case server reinstall will be the only option, so that you may have to reinstall the applications in that situation.
    Also remains of no longer fitting drivers may cause the one or other incident.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    from my experience it is recommended, to keep the sequence on the controller. For the boot disk it is crucial (although you may be able to select it in the Bios) while all other disks are recognized by their ID.
    If the system boots up or not, is also a matter of drivers. If you stay in the same chipset/CPU family, the problems should stay under control and the initial boot succeed.

But should means not, that you can be sure for 100%. (You know, IT is a little bit adventurous as well ...)
    In worst case server reinstall will be the only option, so that you may have to reinstall the applications in that situation.
    Also remains of no longer fitting drivers may cause the one or other incident.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:59 PM
  •  Hi,

Officially, you are breaking your WHS License, as this is tied to the original hardware. Microsoft however, have - up 'till now - accepted servers being re-installed on replacement hardware.

Note that even though everything Olaf has said is correct, your 'new' motherboard with have, in all probability, an entirely different HAL. As such, even though this might work, do you really want what is in all probability your most important data, being stored on a system which might end up with nebulous errors?

Personally, I would never go down this route, but would re-build the server with a new software installation, then copy the Shared Folder files from the 'old' disks into the new installation. This method has been documented a few times through the forum, but if you go don this route, post back, and I'm sure someone will provide help.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:26 PM
  • And I would try to strike a middle ground between Olaf and Colin. I would make sure that A) my old system disk was still first in the boot order, B) all my other disks were connected, and C) I had any drivers required (or that I had configured any SATA controllers for legacy IDE mode). Then I would do a server reinstallation. This will preserve the data in your shares and your backups. You'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins, reconfigure anything you changed in (or outside) the WHS Console, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 15, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I have successfully swapped my motherboard, though it was from an Asus Nvidia board to a newer Asus Nvidia board. There was no problem, I hooked it up the same and it did find. I activated it no problem.
    I expect that the similar Nvidia chipset helped. I can't say Intel to Nvidia would be easy, but perhaps this will give you a boast to go this route.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:50 AM