Trusted Access Edge Servers and Web Conferencing Edge Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I am wrapping up an Edge server installation (hopefully my certs are configured properly, but we'll see). I am configuring my front-end to use the edge server, and I am at the Trusted Access Edge Servers and Web Conferencing Edge Servers configuration page. This may be a silly question, but, since the edge server is part of a workgroup and not on the domain, how do I specify the FQDN of it? It has a hostname, but no domain information. I'm not sure how I would address this server except via IP address. Any suggestions?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

• paulbrown83,

You should manually add the FQDN to DNS. It won't matter that the server is not part of the domain as long as it can be resolved in DNS by the front end servers.

Hope that helps,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Monday, June 15, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:33 PM

All replies

• paulbrown83,

You should manually add the FQDN to DNS. It won't matter that the server is not part of the domain as long as it can be resolved in DNS by the front end servers.

Hope that helps,

Jamie Schwinn
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Monday, June 15, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Ok. I told it to add a suffix of my domain, and then I ran ipconfig /registerdns. that seemed to do the trick, same as what you suggested above. thanks.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:14 PM
  • This approach would only work if DDNS in that zone is configured to allow non-secure updates, as non-domain members wouldn't be able to update DNS records if it's configured to allow only authenticated hosts to do so.  The typical approach is to manually add an A record for the Edge server.  Also, it can be in any domain, as long as the FQDN used can be resolved to an IP address as Jamie pointed out.  I frequnetly use a separate namespace for AD domain-less perimeter servers, like dmzdomain.local or something like that.  Then in internal DNS servers are setup with a split-DNS configuration to host records for those hosts.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:28 PM