Different space offerings confuses users! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I am a computer science PHD student in universiti sains malaysia.

The officelive, skydrive and mesh services are really great offerings. However different space offerings from Microsoft with almost the same usage confuses users. Currently I am using officelive, skydrive and mesh.

- I use mesh everyday to synchronize my document directories in university with my home pc. You have given me 5G of space and I love it. I am ready to pay 5$/months for it if you ever ask for. It has made my living much easier. I have almost forgotten USB drives and DVD/CDs for moving files between home and university.

- Now skydrive has almost the same use as mesh. So why not merge the spaces and interfaces. I should be able to share a document on my space to my friends through skydrive interface and mesh client. It will be great if I can see my mesh files through skydrive interface.

You see how confusing it has become?

- If I have a word/excel file in my mesh/skydrive why I should not be able to access it through officelive?

- I wish you could merge all these services into a single space and give me a "virtual web PC" in which I have some raw space (hard drives) and I can myself organize the drives and access them using related web applications (i.e. officelive...). I could also sync specific folders with my other PCs/Mobile etc using mesh client.

Thanks,
    Mac

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:44 AM

All replies

• We're talking Microsoft here. :-)

Keep in mind that Live Mesh is a preview right now and it is a preview for a platform, with the first application being what we see as the Live Desktop and the ability to sync between devices. It will eventually be more than this I hope, as does Microsoft, with 3rd party applications taking advantage of the environment to seamlessly let devices interconnect with your data.

SkyDrive is actually just a storage service, mainly used by the Photos, but certainly available for storage of just about anything you want. No Sync happens, though.

LiveSync is the evolution of FolderShare and offers sync, but no "cloud" access like Live Mesh does.
    We can assume that LiveSync might move to using the Live Mesh platform down the road for this capability, but that remains to be seen. Would SkyDrive also use the same storage space as the Live Desktop for data that might only exist in the cloud and not be synchronized with devices? perhaps.

Yes, it can be confusing, but that is the fun with these services - which will survive and what will the future hold?

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:05 PM
  • So let me ask something more specific....as the online storage services are a bit confusing....

If I have SkyDrive set up, is there a way to use it as "just another network drive" on my system? It would be nice to be using Windows Vista or "7" and simply access my SkyDrive as Drive X: (or any other letter). Is this possible? If so, that would make using it with products like Word nice and easy as it would again, be "just another drive".

It seems that SkyDrive is more a part of Windows Essentials. Is it what Microsoft plans to push more towards consumers as far as their online storage offering?

((If this seems too far off topic for this thread, then if a mod would move it to a new thread, that is fine by me <G>))

Thanks all.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:11 AM
  • The Skydrive discussion is off topic, but since you stepped into a thread that mentions how confusing the various offerings from Microsoft are, it is as good a place as any. :-)

No, you canot use the SkyDrive storage space as a mapped drive. You can only upload and download files via the web interface.
    Live Sync has no cloud storage at all and allows for synchronizing between your PCs.
    Live Mesh has the Live Desktop for cloud storage, but it is currently not at all related to the SkyDrive storage space. Live Mesh cloud storage can also not be used as a mapped drive. It is a mirror of data that already exists on one or more of your devices, synchronized to the Live Desktop and other devices in your Mesh.

It would imagine that all 3 services will converge at some point in the future - perhaps the distant future.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:03 PM