Genuine Validation Status: PID is invalid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  Today I tried to download Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile Update Beta.  During Validation I received this error.

Validation Not Completed: Invalid Product Key [0x80080202].

I did run WGA Validation Diagnostic Tool which provided this result.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: PID is invalid
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KKY6R-GFVDV-JPC88
    Windows Product Key Hash: D56Om2P3Vb29tFT0vcZ7t/oDxTM=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-016-3771395-22876
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 5.0.2195.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 8ab2bb83-06d7-4d73-a534-faef89dc2e9a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    Cache refresh Interval: 5666 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 105
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\licdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\setupapi.dll

I tried to download something else that required validation, and it worked just fine.

Could someone clarify for me what "PID is invalid" means?  Do I need to call MS to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 7:11 PM

Answers

• Krit86lr,

Dan had given you a pretty good explination on some of the reasons you would receive a "Blocked Product Identification" failure. I see now that you got a "Genuine" status,

Have you tried to go back to the http://www.microsoft.com/genuine site and click validate?

Thanks,

Monday, July 3, 2006 5:41 PM

All replies

• Oh, and I have one more question.  Can changing your hardware cause a WGA conflict?  I've heard yes and no, but thought you guys would know best.

Also, I have just installed IE7 Beta3 so obviously the validation problem is only occurring with Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile Update Beta.

I am still not clear about the diagnostic results though.  PID is invalid?
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 8:23 PM
  • I suppose that I'll keep talking to myself here.  I just read this. http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=462795&SiteID=25

Now I'm worried.  License is Unknown, and there are mismatch files.  I bought my CD from my University Bookstore.  Does anyone know what steps I should take to correct this?  Am I unknowingly running an illegal copy of Windows?  If so, I need to correct this immediately.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 9:24 PM
  • krit86lr,

If your result was Invalid PK or Blocked VLK, these are fairly common and the answers are pretty much canned cut-n-paste.

"PID is Invalid" is a new one on me, so one of the MS guys like Phil will have to give you an answer after doing some research.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 9:40 PM
  • krit86lr,

You will want to paste in the entire contents of the diagnostic tool report into a reply here.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 9:43 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

krit86lr,

You will want to paste in the entire contents of the diagnostic tool report into a reply here.

Okay, sorry.  I get nervous about posting too much info online.  Here it is.

WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: PID is invalid
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KKY6R-GFVDV-JPC88
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 5.0.2195.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 8ab2bb83-06d7-4d73-a534-faef89dc2e9a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->

Notifications Data-->
    Cache refresh Interval: 5666 seconds
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 105
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>8ab2bb83-06d7-4d73-a534-faef89dc2e9a</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.0.2195.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JPC88</PKey><PID>76487-016-3771395-22876</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-436374069-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                        </Manufacturer><Model>0AAVWP05</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0AAVWP05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20000912000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>71D53C8F01842069</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, July 1, 2006 9:45 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

krit86lr,

If your result was Invalid PK or Blocked VLK, these are fairly common and the answers are pretty much canned cut-n-paste.

"PID is Invalid" is a new one on me, so one of the MS guys like Phil will have to give you an answer after doing some research.

Thank you.  That information will make it easier to be patient.  :)  I also did send and email support request.  I have been searching for information about "PID is Invalid", and so far I haven't found anything.

I usually like computer challenges, but not so much when the validity of my copy of Windows is in question.  I suppose I panicked at first.

Again, thanks for any help guys.
    K
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 9:51 PM
  • Krit86lr,

What is on the Certificate of Authenticity on the computer, XP Home or Pro?  DO NOT post product key.

Compare the PK on the COA to the output of the report.  Do the last 15 characters match?

Does the COA have the Gateway name or logo on it?

Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:04 PM
  • The Certificate of Autheniticity is Millennium because that's what this PC originally came installed with.  Then last year I purchased a copy of WinXP Pro SP2 and did a clean install of Windows.  Therefore, I am using a new Product Key other than for what came installed with this PC.

I don't know what COA is.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:09 PM
  • krit86lr,

Sorry, COA=Certificate of Authenticity.

Can you describe what materials you purchased?  Please list all the materials that you received.

Did you buy the materials in a pretty retail box?  A single unpackaged CD?  A download only?

Did you buy at a major electonics retailer, or local store, or on the internet?  EDIT:  I just noticed you already wrote Univ bookstore.

Since we're having trouble with a technology solution, maybe a little "Sherlock Holmes" can help us out

Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:15 PM
  • Okay, the COA has Microsoft's logo on it.  Obviously the PK's don't match because I'm using a new version of Windows which came with a new PK.

I purchased WinXP Pro SP2 from my University Bookstore:  I don't recall how the CD's were packaged.

* One CD says: Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (Systems Student Media)
    * The other CD says: Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Servers Student Media / Work At Home Media)

I think I answered all of the questions.  =\
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:22 PM
  • Krit86lr,

Right on the PKs due to different OSs.

Previous posters with validation issues, whose source for XP was their university, and who have displayed "geographically blocked PID", had the situation explained this way:

The university offered the software at a significantly reduced price or free as part of the university's "package" of what you get for your tuition.  Once the student is no longer enrolled in that university, the software arrangement ceases and the Product Key or Product ID is blocked/invalidated by MS at the direction of the university.

Now I have no idea as to whether this applies to your situation, but it might, if you (a) bought the software at a big discount and (b) are no longer a registered student at that U.

Here's an example of the above, although I'm not convinced that you are in the same boat:  http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=399362&SiteID=25

Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:40 PM
  • So I have a blocked VLK?  Maybe that's possible because I haven't signed up for my fall classes yet, but I am still a registered student.  Maybe signing up for my classes ASAP will solve the issue?  This is really strange.

Should I call MS as ask them?  Or call someone at my school?

Thanks again for your help.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 10:55 PM
  • You are running Windows XP SP2 (Version 5.1) but the MGADiag output shows 5.0. Did you run the tool in compatibility mode? This could be the cause of misleading output
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:20 AM
  • Krit86lr,

No, I don't think you have a blocked VLK.

I was just telling you about other people who have had similar but not identical situations.

Yours is just a wacky situation that is going to take a MS rep with access to the Product Key database to sort out.

Just sit tight, you might have to wait until Monday for them to sort it out.

Good Luck!

Sunday, July 2, 2006 2:48 AM
  • Hi masterofx32.  You're correct, I'm running version 5.1.  I'll try running the tool in compatibility mode, and see if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 5:29 PM
  • Okay, well there wasn't a compatibility mode option.  I ran the tool twice yesterday, and received the same results.

I just ran it again right now and got something completely different!

WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key:
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: L9PHLP4
    ID:
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x80070005
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-434-80070005_025D1FF3-118-80070005

System Scan Data-->

Notifications Data-->
    Cache refresh Interval: 7589 seconds
    Signatue Type: N/A

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID/><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JPC88</PKey><PID>76487-016-3771395-22876</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-436374069-839522115</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>71D53C8F01842069</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, July 2, 2006 5:34 PM
  • krit86lr:

no, i mean whether you already used the win2000 compatibility mode since the wgadiag tool seems to incorrectly identify your system as being version 5.0 (win2000)

Sunday, July 2, 2006 5:36 PM
  • You need to be clearer.  Is there a different tool for different OS's or something?

When you say "compatibility mode", I think you mean to right-click and choose compatibility mode, but when I did that I didn't get that option.

Regardless, the tool just gave me a correct ouput.  There is obviously a bug in the tool that should be sorted out.

Thanks for everything, and the quick responses!  :)
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 5:41 PM
  • krit86lr:

i was referring to this compatibility mode http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

i was suspecting that you had either activated it accidently for the wgadiag tool or its activation has been triggered by any other circumstances. The compatibility mode option that makes an application see another operating system version than it's actually running inside should be switched off for wga related tools in any way, since it would most probably lead to a failing wga check.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 5:57 PM
  • Krit86lr,

Dan had given you a pretty good explination on some of the reasons you would receive a "Blocked Product Identification" failure. I see now that you got a "Genuine" status,

Have you tried to go back to the http://www.microsoft.com/genuine site and click validate?

Thanks,

Monday, July 3, 2006 5:41 PM
  • I want madia player complete
    Monday, July 3, 2006 7:48 PM
  • I went to the link that you provided and I was given a validation status.  Thank you for everyone's attention to this matter.

I would like to note however that the day prior the the WGA diagnostic tool giving me a Genuine status, the tool did give me an "invalid PID" error twice in one day.  Therefore, I believe that there is a bug in the diagnostic tool which should be addressed ASAP.

Thank you for your time,
    Kristin
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 6:24 AM
  •  cabdalle wrote:
    I want madia player complete

This post should be removed as it has nothing to do with this thread, or this forum.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 6:26 AM
  •  krit86lr wrote:
    So I have a blocked VLK?  Maybe that's possible because I haven't signed up for my fall classes yet, but I am still a registered student.  Maybe signing up for my classes ASAP will solve the issue?  This is really strange.

Should I call MS as ask them?  Or call someone at my school?

Thanks again for your help.

Not necessarily (to the blocked VLK). The tool cannot determine the product key type (as it says "Unknown" license type) to match your overall installation type.

I would recommend running in Compatibility mode.

-phil liu

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 9:30 PM