Streets & Trips not calculating mileage correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed 2013 version of S&T, planned a route from MI to CA. The route says it's 2,407.4 miles. When I start navigation, it shows Distance to End 1734.6 miles. It's only off by 672.8 miles. I noticed this with the 2010 version as well, but heck if I can find an answer anywhere on the net.

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:38 PM

All replies

• That is a long route with a lot of potential routes available. Have you tried changing the route options so that it matches your expectations?

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:48 PM
  • It doesn't matter if I go 100 miles or 1,000 miles, it's rarely correct. I would expect if the directions say 2,407 miles then the navigation should be assuming I'm driving those directions and as I'm sitting in my driveway ready to leave, show 2,407 miles to the end.. but it's saying 1734. If there's a shortcut that will save me 672 miles, I'd love for it to show me. lol Bottom line is, when someone asks me how much further I have to go, I can't tell them because the "end" info is incorrect most of the time. Like I said, it did this with 2010 version, too. On different laptops, with different OS, too.

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Did you ever found out what the problem is. I had 2011 and the new 2013 does the same thing. I create a trip across the country and it always calculates my route short? Even if I only do a point A to Point B without any stops it is still short. Matched it with my Garmin a few time. Garmin was right on. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:58 AM
  • Nope. Keep in mind, the calculated directions appear to be correct. It's when you're actually driving that the numbers are off. On a recent trip from Charleston, WV, to Harrisburg, PA to home (in Michigan)... my "Next stop" (Harrisburg) was, for example, 43 miles away. It said "Distance to End" was 45 miles. Now obviously it's more than 2 miles from Harrisburg to Michigan.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:50 PM