error 0018-80070641 RRS feed

• Question

• each time i try to install onecare i get the error: 0018-80070641.

I've tried this resolution:

1. Run Cleanup Tool

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/onecarecleanup.exe

2. Install on CleanBoot

- Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
    On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
      Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
    Process SYSTEM.INI File
    Process WIN.INI File
    Load Startup Items
    - Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    Click OK, and then click Restart.

and it did not work.  I've spent hours on the phone with onecare support before for other computers.  if there is a solution other than contacting support i would greatly appreciate it.

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is this a new install on this PC? Has it always failed?

The 0018 error is a generic install error, unfortunately. It would seem to me that there may be a problem with a conflict on the system, a permissions issue, or a problem with supporting components.

I would recommend following the steps in the KB article referenced here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1588602&SiteID=2

And, of course, there is always support. Try submitting an email support case with that specific error and they may have a few other solutions to try. If you can post what worked here, that would be great.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:55 PM
  • well i tried to install AVG free for temporary virus protection but that too failed to install.  maybe there is a virus preventing antivirus software to install.  I'll post back here if i get an update
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  •  

Hi picard3392,

The Error 0018, just like what Stephen said is a general installation error. But the trailing hexadecimal code of 80070641 is an error that is pointing to a failure for the Windows Installer Service. Check if the service is on Manual within Services Local. You can open this by going to RUN from the Start button and type in Services.msc and hit "OK". Find the Windows Installer Service and see if it is on Manual, if not change the start-up type to Manual. Then try installing OneCare again.

Please post back the result if you still encounter the same issue.

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Well i did exactly what you said.  It was set to manual but it was stopped, so I started it and tried to install onecare again.  I got the same issue.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 11:48 PM
  •  

Thank you for your apt reply.

It seems that this may need further support.

Please feel free to contact OneCare support through this link:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:58 PM