Transfer speeds to and from my server have dropped to 500kb/s RRS feed

• Question

• They used to be 50-60MB/s.  Now it is taking 10 hours to transfer 40gb of data off of the server. This is very unusual. My internet speeds are unaffected.
    Could it be because my drives on WHS is filling up? The main system drive is almost empty but the other drives are almost full.
    I'm moving some data off of it now to see if that makes a difference but as of right now I have just as much free space on the server as I did last week when everything was fine.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:23 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.

It's the onboard NIC on my desktop. The server itself is fine.

I installed a megabit NIC on my desktop and immediately got a speed increase. It's rather odd that my onboard NIC would just drop it's speeds to almost nothing. And it's not a driver issue as i'm using it in multiple operating systems. Very strange.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:30 PM

All replies

• fandibus said:

They used to be 50-60MB/s.  Now it is taking 10 hours to transfer 40gb of data off of the server. This is very unusual. My internet speeds are unaffected.
    Could it be because my drives on WHS is filling up?

Not likely.  I would suspect you have a hardware issue somewhere.  You might start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server.  If that doesn't fix it, try replacing your NIC.

fandibus said:

The main system drive is almost empty but the other drives are almost full.
    I'm moving some data off of it now to see if that makes a difference but as of right now I have just as much free space on the server as I did last week when everything was fine.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:04 PM
  • I switched to another NIC and that didn't resolve the issue. I'm now doing a chkdsk on each drive.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Hi,
    did you upgrade the network drivers on server or client side recently or install any application/Windows Update on one of the systems, before this slowdown happened the first time?
    If you login to your server and doubleclick the LAN connection in Control Panel/Network connections, which speed is shown here? 
    How good is the cable? Is it well seated on both ends? Windows Server 2003 determines the quality of a connection, if this is not good enough, it will degrade the connection speed to warrant a reliable data transmission.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:11 AM
  • I have 3 computers on my network so I setup file transfers between each to see if the problem is with everything or just some. And I discovered that transfers between my HTPC and WHS are fine.

So it's my desktop that is having issues transferring to the other systems.

This isn't OS specific on my desktop because I triple boot and can test multiple operating systems.

Cables are all seated fine. I am using Rosewill CAT6 cables for everything.

So either the ethernet port on the motherboard is failing or it's something in the bios.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Hi,
    you could try to carry your troubling PC to another place and connect it instead of a known working PC using the network cable from that PC.
    That way you can eliminate, that there is something with the network connection between the clients NIC out and the switch.
    (I had a similar issue with my Marvell on board network interface, but the speed here dropped to 500 KB per minute. Pulling the cable and connecting it with the Realtek network interface on the same board solved the speed issue for me, but I still don't know what was causing it in the first time, since the Marvell interface was the better and more reliable in the beginning.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:01 PM
  • I found the problem.

It's the onboard NIC on my desktop. The server itself is fine.

I installed a megabit NIC on my desktop and immediately got a speed increase. It's rather odd that my onboard NIC would just drop it's speeds to almost nothing. And it's not a driver issue as i'm using it in multiple operating systems. Very strange.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:30 PM