voicemail notification glitch RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WM6.1... first noticed when I was using WM 6.

There is a problem with the voicemail notification window. If you miss a call, get a messge and then dismiss the notification window without going to immediately retrieve your message you no longer recieve any notice that you have received any more messages until you have either retrieved the message that caused the window to pop up or you power the unit off and turn it back on.

On the surface it might seem that the fault lies with the ingnoramus who does not check his messages as soon as he gets them, but I think it is a flaw in the way the software goes about doing it's job.

It has happened, on more than one occasion, that I have missed a call and, rather than picking up the message before calling the person back, I have dismissed the notification window (can't do anything else with it showing), looked at who called and then I have either called the person back without checking the message right away or I have done something else. Problem is, if I miss another call before I have dialed up to check my voicemail or I have turned the phone on and off, I DO NOT get anymore notices that there are any more new messages.  

This glitch once (first time it happened) left me with 14 messages sitting in my mailbox, the oldest having sat there for about a week. I could tell that some of the new messages were left while I was talking on the phone (no change in the missed call count) and as for the others, well I just figured the people who did not get a hold of me didn't leave a message...nobody told me otherwise....except one annoyed person when he finally got a hold of me.

Please make a change that closes the notification window... but does not end up cancelling the notification of future messages.

Thanks
    Scott
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:22 PM

Answers

• smunns said:

There is a problem with the voicemail notification window. If you miss a call, get a messge and then dismiss the notification window without going to immediately retrieve your message you no longer recieve any notice that you have received any more messages until you have either retrieved the message that caused the window to pop up or you power the unit off and turn it back on.

Scott, this picture illustrates what happens if that unmistakable error occurs and you dismiss the alert that there is a new voice mail.

View this picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25241936@N08/3301466032/

You can see that you first get a Voice Mail alert.  If you dismiss it by mistake, you are still notified that there is a message which when clicked on, you see that you have unherad voice mail.
    http://www.experiencemobility.net
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:29 PM

All replies

• although i can barely comprehend the cause of your issue, i suspect i'll learn about it.  voice mail is a top concern for me.  i came to the forums because the absence of voicemail in the items to appear on the today screen checklist [Settings>Today>Items tab], with WM6.1 Professional for touchscreen killed all my plans, and shocked me.  and until the today screen includes voice mail i don't have any plans.  the added functionality would resolve your issue, too.  the system is now checking new voice mail, and providing notifications such as 'you have 2 new voice message(s)'.  an item on the today screen providing a voice mail count of some extent is a totally realistic vision.  the lack thereof, is thoughtless. 
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:06 AM
  • smunns said:

Scott, this picture illustrates what happens if that unmistakable error occurs and you dismiss the alert that there is a new voice mail.

View this picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25241936@N08/3301466032/

You can see that you first get a Voice Mail alert.  If you dismiss it by mistake, you are still notified that there is a message which when clicked on, you see that you have unherad voice mail.
    http://www.experiencemobility.net
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Jack, I use an Omnia with WM6.1 Pro, with a similar problem. I can't get rid of the voicemail notification icon on the WM title bar (if that's waht its called .. ?) Every time I start up the phone it tells me that I have a voicemail message. I select discard, but the notification remains on the title bar. Next time i start the phone it gives me the notification box and I am back to square one. I have been to my voicemail service and collected / deleted all voicemails. How do I cancel the spurious notification?

Thanks in advance
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:17 AM