WHS and Domin in same time? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have a WHS connector installed on a laptop and having this laptop part of windows 2008 domain?

One of our consultant has a laptop (windows 7 pro) connected with a WHS, This laptop should also belong to the enterprise domain based on sbs 2008 Is it possible to have this configuration or are they know issues?

Thanks for helping

Nicolas Oggier

Nicolas Oggier
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:51 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is possible. But (speaking as a consultant) generally you will not want to (and the consultant will not agree to) join the consultant's computer to your domain, because it's likely that it's already joined to another domain and if it's not, joining it to a domain will potentially cause other authentication problems.

If there's a hard requirement that the consultant have a domain-joined laptop, you should provide one. Otherwise, create a domain user id with appropriate permissions for the consultant, and let her manage security on her laptop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 2, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Is it possible to have a WHS connector installed on a laptop and having this laptop part of windows 2008 domain?

One of our consultant has a laptop (windows 7 pro) connected with a WHS, This laptop should also belong to the enterprise domain based on sbs 2008 Is it possible to have this configuration or are they know issues?
    Speaking as a consultant, shouldn't you be loaning the consultant a laptop if you want him/her to be on your domain? The the machine will automatically be set up with all the things that your company requires.

This is exactly my situation. I have a laptop that is issued by the company I consult for and that belongs to their domain. When I use it at home, I just have it on my local network and access my WHS (and other shared resources) by IP address. I do not attempt to put the laptop on my home workgroup or load the connector software on it.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:16 AM