Home server system drive full RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I remoted into home server today and noticed that I was out of space in the system drive. Then went through some files and found that the C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 folder was 12.8 GB's. Seems these are just some sort of log files. Can I delete them and where are they coming from? IIS on this machine has always been disable. Briefly googled the folder name and it said something about IIS log files. I dont use IIS and it is disabled through the whs console.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• You can delete the files in that folder.

As for IIS being disabled, it's not. Several features of Windows Home Server use IIS in some way, not just the Remote Access web site. I'd recommend you look into one of the log files, though, to see what's causing them to grow so much.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Spunzen Monday, December 7, 2009 10:30 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:39 AM

All replies

• You can delete the files in that folder.

As for IIS being disabled, it's not. Several features of Windows Home Server use IIS in some way, not just the Remote Access web site. I'd recommend you look into one of the log files, though, to see what's causing them to grow so much.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Spunzen Monday, December 7, 2009 10:30 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:39 AM
  • At work I use a routine set up on all the IIS servers.  It consists of a robocopy command which is invoked from a scheduled task that runs each morning around 2:00 am.  Depending on the server in question it deletes any entries older than xx days.

It takes all the log file entries and moves anything older than xx days to another folder and then empties that folder.  I'll be able to post the code after I get back to work on Monday.

Works well as a scheduled task and saves us the backup of file entries nobody will ever look up.  This was implemented serveral years ago.  This last week I have been shutting down all IIS logging. Seems no one is using the information.

Right click on the computer and slect Manage -> Services -> IIS Management -> Websites ->WHS website

There you have the option of turning it off.

Your'e choice.

George
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:01 PM