Filter By: In thread - request for Since Last Visit or similar RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since the forum is constantly refreshing, I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but when I see a thread that has new activity, then open that thread, I am on the first message of the thread. If it is a long thread, with pages of activity, I would like to be able to filter out old messages in the thread quickly. Perhaps this could be a filter based on time/days, so I can choose to only view messages that are new within x hours or y days to limit what I have to scroll through before deciding if I need to expand the thread and read more messages within.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Thanks Stephen, this sounds like a cool idea.

Since we know the last date you visitted the thread as long as we don't overwrite that immediately when you view it again we could have a filter button that does "New posts since you last visitted this thread" and then return only the new posts.

I think we'll get asked for this in preview mode as well, so here's another suggestion I have: 

When you select the "Unread" filter in the threads list we currently only show you new threads or threads that have new posts.  If you hit the "preview" button to preview it, you get all the posts.  Since we know which posts are new we could default to only show new posts, then you'd have to select the thread itself if you want to read it in it's entirety or we could have an additional switch to show all.

What do you think?
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Friday, April 25, 2008 4:53 PM
  • My hit on this idea is that it would be useful IF the OP (original post) is always included. Then filter out responses that I have previously read.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:40 AM
  • I'm good with a filter that shows only new posts since last view of the thread. In fact, that is even better than since last forum visit, since it is truly dynamic.
    Add another filter to allow a range of x hours/y days, I think it is a winner!
    Arnie's idea to also show the original post in the return, but not all intermediate ones is probably of value in many cases. In my work in the OneCare forums this has lass value since the pattern is usually:
    Post 1 = question or statement
    Post 2 = either a "me too" post or an answer, with the occasional response being a request for more details from the OP
    Post 3 = is usually a "me too" or just a piling on, often only vaguely related to the OP.
    Where Arnie's idea works well in the OneCare forum model are the really long threads that go on for pages and pages of "me too" posts - merged by me from other standalone posts, or comments made by subsequent posters to the topic.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:11 AM