Windows Product Key Update Tool - Error 0x80072f78 RRS feed

• Question

• I chose to convert my counterfeit Windows XP software to a genuine copy of Windows XP using a new Product Key that I purchased online.

Following the instruction on the mail that contains the product key I downloaded the Windows Product Key Update Tool on the same computer I used to purchase the electronic license for Windows XP.

I ran the tool, but it stopped reporting an error:  0x80072f78

I read somewhere that it could be an issue related to my firewall settings. Notice that I do not run any "software" firewall, but I have an ADSL USRobotics router/firewall. I cannot (and wish not) disable it, even temporarily, so, if it's a firewall issue, I'd like to know exactly if I have to trigger some ports, or whatever in order to have the tool work.

Thank you for any help.

Flyingb.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:33 AM

Answers

• Flyingb,

Have a look at this MS KB article:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Let us know if the article helped you fix the problem!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:54 PM

All replies

• Flyingb,

Have a look at this MS KB article:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Let us know if the article helped you fix the problem!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:54 PM
  •  Flyingb wrote:

I chose to convert my counterfeit Windows XP software to a genuine copy of Windows XP using a new Product Key that I purchased online.

Following the instruction on the mail that contains the product key I downloaded the Windows Product Key Update Tool on the same computer I used to purchase the electronic license for Windows XP.

I read somewhere that it could be an issue related to my firewall settings. Notice that I do not run any "software" firewall, but I have an ADSL USRobotics router/firewall. I cannot (and wish not) disable it, even temporarily, so, if it's a firewall issue, I'd like to know exactly if I have to trigger some ports, or whatever in order to have the tool work.

Thank you for any help.

Flyingb.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:41 AM
  • I also tried to use the tool to change my Product Key and received the same error message.  I DO NOT have any problems accessing the Windows Update site

Error code 0x80072ee7.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:00 PM
  •  julia theriault wrote:
     Flyingb wrote:

I chose to convert my counterfeit Windows XP software to a genuine copy of Windows XP using a new Product Key that I purchased online.

Thank you for any help.

Flyingb.

Friday, December 29, 2006 4:23 AM