Vista Product Key trouble RRS feed

• Question

• My brother received a HP notebook that had Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed back in February '07. It recently had its motherboard replaced, and after logging-in, now asks for a product key. Inputting the product key on the label on the bottom of the laptop simply shows a message that it is invalid. The screen goes blank when attempting to access the computer in the limited mode and refuses to function. Attempting to use the option in help and support to "contact HP to help resolve this problem", it brings up the browser, brings up an error code like this:

Script: C:\\Windows\Help\OEM\scripts\LaunchHPPP.jse
    Line: 56
    Char: 1
    Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Code: 80070002
    Source: (null)

There is no access to the start menu whatsoever, and there is no access to the internet on there whatsoever. He has been talking to live reps of microsoft as well as hp with no luck, and being sent back and forth between the two, and asking how to obtain a product key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Th3KT,

Please try the below steps. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Vista will require you to enter a Product Key (use the COA SLP key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Thank you for the input; I have tried that, but I cannot get past the second step of either - I can type in the specified command and hit enter into IE, but then I get an error message.

Address Bar
    'file:///C:/Windows/System32' is currently unavailable.

And then it just has one "OK" and a small "x" button.

Then it's back to square one. I can still access IE, and I can still use the address bar, but I can't access System32.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:59 PM
  • The windows/system32 folder is one of the main folder for windows, I suggest creating a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for additional assistance in finding that folder.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:58 PM