WHS Console won't connect after power outage RRS feed

• Question

• We had a power outage this morning which caused my WHS to reboot. After the reboot I can no longer connect to the server via the WHS Console application. It doesn't work from a remote computer or from the desktop icon when I am actually remoted into the server. I can access all the shared folders fine from my LAN as well as a remote connection via the web.

When I try to run the WHS Console on my server I can see that it is running in the task manager, but nothing ever happens, no window, no error message, nothing. Is there some service that should be running that is not? I looked at the service list but nothing seeme obvious to me, all the WHS services were running.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bill

PS - Don't tell me I need a UPS, I know I do and will be purchasing one this weekend :-)

Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:23 PM

Answers

• Well, I went out for a while this morning and when I can home everything was working. My only guess is the server was doing something to recover from the power outage and while this was happening it wasn't responding to connection attempts from the console app. Not sure why that might be, but I am not going to try to reproduce it at this point :-)

Thanks,

-Bill

Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:54 PM

All replies

•  B Dyer wrote:

We had a power outage this morning which caused my WHS to reboot. After the reboot I can no longer connect to the server via the WHS Console application. It doesn't work from a remote computer or from the desktop icon when I am actually remoted into the server. I can access all the shared folders fine from my LAN as well as a remote connection via the web.

When I try to run the WHS Console on my server I can see that it is running in the task manager, but nothing ever happens, no window, no error message, nothing. Is there some service that should be running that is not? I looked at the service list but nothing seeme obvious to me, all the WHS services were running.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bill

PS - Don't tell me I need a UPS, I know I do and will be purchasing one this weekend :-)

Can you access the shares? If so, the server is running, but you may have to hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to tell what's going on. You may have to reboot and F8 to get to "Last Known Good Configuration that Worked" and try that to avoid having to reinstall the server software. One other thought. is your server set up with a static IP?? If the IP address changed, you may need to run Discovery.exe from your PC's to find the server again.

I'd look at the shares first, then try discovery to see if the server is found.

Cruise
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Has your server picked up a different IP?.

You could try running 'discovery.exe' from the Windows Home Server folder on your Client, this will search the network for the server and re-setup the correct connections.

If this is so, you need to set up a reserved or static IP for the server.

Colin

Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Well, I went out for a while this morning and when I can home everything was working. My only guess is the server was doing something to recover from the power outage and while this was happening it wasn't responding to connection attempts from the console app. Not sure why that might be, but I am not going to try to reproduce it at this point :-)

Thanks,

-Bill

Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:54 PM