CRM 4 on premise accessed on the web RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue on a crm 4 server (Win2008 R2, x64) that can no longer be accessed on the internet.

Until a couple of days ago the setup was fine, and the setup was this: a port forwarding application redirected connections to the crm server via a public ip and a specific port. Now, on the crm server I get failed attempts when an user tries to connect to the crm and, after 3 attempts, the site says that the user is not authorized.

My client says that there were absolutely no changes made neither on the server nor on that port-forwarding application.

The one thing I did do was to activate the Windows license after they realized that it's not working anymore.

Thanks,

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• I would start with IIS logs as you're returning http access errors, not CRM authentication failure.  Do the logs show both a soft 401 (challenge) and a hard 401 (failure)?  This is more likely to be a routing or IIS issue than CRM, imho.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:48 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about, only one particular user has the problem or everyone has the same problem? 

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Monday, February 21, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Everyone gets unauthorized message when tries to log from internet.

On the local network it is working fine.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hello Faisal,

I'm afraid this isnt the typical IFD configuration. I've set up IFD for a few organizations and I know what to do, but this client has a different overall configuration with the domains and dns, which required another approach; this other approach is the one I briefly described above (with the port-forwarding application).

Thank you,

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Update:

I've reinstalled the crm server, as well as IIS server, on default site. Then, on the port-forwarding app I used the port 5555. This got it working, apparently.

Then, because all users had their settings for port 8081, I changed it to that, at which point, again, it gave unauthorized. The moment I switched back to 5555, it worked (if I set a binding in the IIS server, for the crm site, does it get written in the crm database?).

The odd thing is that 2 other clients are experiencing similar issues with their CRM Server.

Just now I got another call from a client who has one of the users receiving this error. I can logon with administrator from that user's machine, but his credentials get the error.

(The error everyone gets is 401.1 Unauthorized)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I would start with IIS logs as you're returning http access errors, not CRM authentication failure.  Do the logs show both a soft 401 (challenge) and a hard 401 (failure)?  This is more likely to be a routing or IIS issue than CRM, imho.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:48 PM