Error approving timesheet as a Delegate - serious problem RRS feed

• Question

• The server is set up with 'fixed approval routing' enabled. User A has user B as timesheet manager.

Both users are unavailable and I have to act as A to enter the time-sheet and then act as B to approve the time-sheet.

In order to do this, I act as a delegate for A and submit the time-sheet for approval. No routing options appear on the confirmation page - as expected. I then act as a Delegate for B. when I approve the timesheet, the field 'Send Timesheet to:' appears and it is populated with the name of the approval manager of B. I did not expect this to happen given fixed approval routing is enabled.

So far, so good. the status of that timesheet for A is 'Acceptable (Final)' as expected.

Curious to see what happens at B's manager account, I set myself up as B's Manager. Sure enough, when I do the whole procedure again, B's approval routes that time-sheet to me for approval. When I then approve the timesheet, the 'Send Timesheet to:' appears again, this time populated with B's name.

This causes the following error in the Queue (and leaves the timesheet in my approvals list.)

• Timesheet:
      • TimesheetInvalidApprover (3205). Details: id='3205' name='TimesheetInvalidApprover' uid='d52c5811-1830-4791-a04a-4acc4693ff1f'.
    • Queue:
      • GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - TimesheetReview.ReviewTimesheetMessage . Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='03b35079-9dc3-49bb-acfd-2a17dc95cfc4' JobUID='405fe855-e803-40c4-80ab-9cf7ef586f22' ComputerName='HSNDON-PM01' GroupType='TimesheetReview' MessageType='ReviewTimesheetMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine XXXXXX for entries with JobUID 405fe855-e803-40c4-80ab-9cf7ef586f22 .

Ok, so I cancel the Job hoping for the best but unfortunately the job is now stuck with me.

so, I delete the time-sheet and try something else:

Next I try to change that user's approval manager to me and enter it as a delegate hoping that I can simply approve it but no! Now I find that somehow 'fixed approval routing' is not working any longer and when I try to approve A's timesheet, the system wants to route that timesheet to my manager (I checked and the flag is still set on the administration page for that option).

No matter what combination I try (save physically logging in as A) I cannot get this to work as I expect which is: Delegate for A creates and submits Time-sheet (no routing options appear). Delegate for B approves the time-sheet (no routing options appear) and the time-sheet is approved.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:41 AM

Answers

• I have a work around for the problem, which occurs when either a Delegate submits a timesheet for approval or  a Delegates approves a timesheet.

To recap - the issue occurs when approval is attempted. Given fixed approval is routing enabled, and the final approval cannot be performed (it just keeps kicking up the approval chain and you get an error if you try anything smart with the routing slip), rather select an account which is not in use for timesheets (such as the administrative account).

This is not a great workaround but the approval job disappears from the approvers list of approvals and the status of the time-sheet changes to 'acceptable': which is what needs to happen (partially at least).

The final approval just sits in the administrator's approval center forever or until the time-sheet is recalled and submitted/approved by the real user account.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:17 AM

All replies

• My question is: what am I doing wrong here?
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:42 AM
  • I have a work around for the problem, which occurs when either a Delegate submits a timesheet for approval or  a Delegates approves a timesheet.

To recap - the issue occurs when approval is attempted. Given fixed approval is routing enabled, and the final approval cannot be performed (it just keeps kicking up the approval chain and you get an error if you try anything smart with the routing slip), rather select an account which is not in use for timesheets (such as the administrative account).

This is not a great workaround but the approval job disappears from the approvers list of approvals and the status of the time-sheet changes to 'acceptable': which is what needs to happen (partially at least).

The final approval just sits in the administrator's approval center forever or until the time-sheet is recalled and submitted/approved by the real user account.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:17 AM