WHS server failure - complete destruction of all backup data RRS feed

• Question

• So I installed WHS and backed up all my machines.

Next I took the WHS drive and put it into a new machine (the WHS server could fail, right?).

So I didn't want to lose my data, so I chose the "reinstallation option" on the new machine.

The "reinstallation option" died.  I waited 10 hours.  It was good and dead.  Nothing on the screen.  I rebooted.

After reboot the only option is "new installation".

So it appears that if your WHS machine dies, and if you move the drive to a new machine, then you will lose all your backups.

Could this possibly be correct?

If this is correct, what are you supposed to do in the above scenario if you want to keep your backups? (Or is it even possible).

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:04 AM

Answers

• Alex Barimo said:

There was a single hard drive.

After the initial reinstallation failure I rebooted and was provided only the "New Installation" option.

I didn't reformat the drive during the "reinstallation" option (is there even such an option with the "reinstallation option"?  I don't think so).

Are you saying that after the initial failed reinstallation I should have removed all files from the SYS drive?  If so, are you indicating that I should have installed the WHS drive as a non-boot disk in a machine with a boot drive and thereafter delete everything on SYS?  If so, should I have reformatted SYS or deleted all the files?  If delete, should I have taken ownership before deleting?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  If a Server Reinstallation fails, you should be able to "reset" the hard drive by connecting that drive to another PC (as a non-boot disk) and formatting the first partition (the one that is 20 GB) on that drive.
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:41 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:31 AM

All replies

• Alex Barimo said:

So I installed WHS and backed up all my machines.

Next I took the WHS drive and put it into a new machine (the WHS server could fail, right?).

So I didn't want to lose my data, so I chose the "reinstallation option" on the new machine.

The "reinstallation option" died.  I waited 10 hours.  It was good and dead.  Nothing on the screen.  I rebooted.

After reboot the only option is "new installation".

So it appears that if your WHS machine dies, and if you move the drive to a new machine, then you will lose all your backups.

Could this possibly be correct?

No, that's not correct.  In your scenario (which I believe is a single hard drive, although you didn't specifically say it), the backups are stored on the D partition of the drive.  When a Server Reinstallation fails, typically you don't get another chance at Server Reinstallation unless you completely format the C partition (where the OS is stored).  Once you remove all traces of the failed OS installation from the C partition, you should then be given another chance at Server Reinstallation.

Alex Barimo said:

If this is correct, what are you supposed to do in the above scenario if you want to keep your backups? (Or is it even possible).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:16 AM
  • There was a single hard drive.

After the initial reinstallation failure I rebooted and was provided only the "New Installation" option.

I didn't reformat the drive during the "reinstallation" option (is there even such an option with the "reinstallation option"?  I don't think so).

Are you saying that after the initial failed reinstallation I should have removed all files from the SYS drive?  If so, are you indicating that I should have installed the WHS drive as a non-boot disk in a machine with a boot drive and thereafter delete everything on SYS?  If so, should I have reformatted SYS or deleted all the files?  If delete, should I have taken ownership before deleting?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Alex Barimo said:

There was a single hard drive.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  If a Server Reinstallation fails, you should be able to "reset" the hard drive by connecting that drive to another PC (as a non-boot disk) and formatting the first partition (the one that is 20 GB) on that drive.
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:41 AM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Thanks karyia, I appreciate your response and it's really helpful.

So after a server reinstallation failure I should reformat the SYS volume.

After that upon bootup of the WHS OS install disk I'll get another chance at Server Reinstallation.

In other words, the installer will recognize that there is a DATA partition on the drive, realize that it's in the WHS format, and give me a chance to have the WHS recognize that volume as backup data and for WHS to use it as backup data.

I'll try it.

Thanks again.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:34 AM