Ms Money V.14.0.120.1105 (2004) UK version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi can anyone assist me?

I am confused by the various options now available.

My 2004 version of Money works fine with Xp but will not operate with Vista. What is the best product to download? I have downloaded Money plus from the MS website onto a differnet Vista machine and copied the backup from an XP machine, but now Money plus cant read the original money backup???

Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Dominic, many thanks for your assistance, now up and running, with only one issue relating to reports that was evident on the file pre transfer to Vista; e.g the assets & Liabilties, net worth report does not complete - just advises "loading", and the net worth over time report retunrs an error message = "An error occurred but money ran out of memory while trying to retrieve nad display details about what happened".

I think this may be realted to an account that has a significanltly negative value, as if I create a new 'money' databse, the report works fine. is this a known issue or am I barkng up the wrong tree? 

Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hi, I would try and repair the file using the options on the file menu.  Make sure you take a copy first just in case.

Based on my experience this will fix\delete the corrupt report and allow you to try again.

Ian

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Hi Many thanks for this. I did try to repair the file using the stanbdard repair - level2(Standard). On compleytion I recieved the message Congratulations, your file has been repaired succesfully, Choose 'View Log' to get more details about any corrupt information that may have been encountered.

On opening Vioew Log = No broken records in the original file.

When I try to run the reports Net Worth and Account Balances I now get the "Loading" message displayed {not the message in my post above} but the neither of the reports actually loads even after waiting for 10+ minutes.

All other reports appear to be working OK.

Any ideas welcomed?

Is there an easy was to export all records to a new file?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi, a couple of further thoughts

- are these the standard reports or customised reports you are trying to run?

- have you changed anything recently, added or deleted any new accounts?

- are all your account balances showing correctly when viewed in the accounts list; are there any obviously wrong balance number?

- (on a copy) try closing the accounts one by one then try the reports to see if you can isolate the problem?

- (on a copy) try deleting the accounts one by one then try the reports to see if you can isolate the problem?

The answer to your question about easy way to export is 'it depends' - this largely depends on how many accounts  and records you've got - it can be done but its not overly straightforward and you would have recreate things like bills schedules, custom reports etc.

let us know how you get on

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:10 AM
  • All other reports appear to be working OK.

Any ideas welcomed?

Is there an easy was to export all records to a new file?

First, try making a repaired version of your file with a level 1 repair just as you did level 2.

The way to export all transactions, if you want to do the QIF export/import procedure. I would follow the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178465  Be sure to  File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files. That is how Money figures out transfers. Use meaningful file names for the QIF files.

Some information does not transfer, such as security symbols and report customizing. You could also use QIF export+import to move to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset if you wanted.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I was one of the victim affected due to Microsoft Stopping update of Money 2005 installation. Based on the infomration given by you, I could update my money installation and could open the old file.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 5:29 PM
  • In case anyone stumbles across this thread with a similar problem, i.e., this stupid error message about running out of memory, then I seem to have isolated the problem to one particular account, which, if I excluded, the Net Worth Over Time report ran fine.

The account is an investment account, and I'm not sure what in particular is wrong with it yet (I will perhaps investigate later), but it seems that you can at least get around the problem by excluding the rogue account causing it.  It may be that you need to recreate the account and copy the transactions manually to resolve it as a file repair doesn't seem to work.

Friday, August 11, 2017 1:36 AM
  • In case anyone stumbles across this thread with a similar problem, i.e., this stupid error message about running out of memory, then I seem to have isolated the problem to one particular account, which, if I excluded, the Net Worth Over Time report ran fine.

The account is an investment account, and I'm not sure what in particular is wrong with it yet (I will perhaps investigate later), but it seems that you can at least get around the problem by excluding the rogue account causing it.  It may be that you need to recreate the account and copy the transactions manually to resolve it as a file repair doesn't seem to work.

Good info on identifying and working around the problem.

You might be able to locate a particular problem transaction by changing the date that the problem occurs until you narrow it down.

Bob Smiley, who I learned the most expert stuff from, said

"Personally, I'd run the Quick Repair, then the Standard Repair
    (level 2), then the Quick Repair again.

The quick repair and the standard repair work on completely
    different issues in the database.  It is possible that quick repair
    may expose something that standard needs to fix, and the repair
    that standard fixes may need to have quick repair to finish the
    issue.  Anytime you want to fix an issue, always run Quick -
    Standard - Quick. 

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:30 PM