MIcrosoft SyncToy problems with ISO files RRS feed

• Question

• HI.

I have a USB HD (500 Gb) onto wich I use SyncToy to replicate my Doc, Videos, Music etc. etc. from my primary Desktop computer.

It sems okay with almost everything except my ISO files. They are all over 2,5 Gb each and I have set up the partnership to Syncronize everything.

Is this a known problem, and if so, are there any solution?

Have a great day

John R. Mortensen

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:04 AM

All replies

• I have noticed this problem as well.  I cannot offer a technical solution but I can offer my empathy.  I suspect it has more to do with the sheer size of the files than the file type.  Simply copying such a large file can take a while.  If the Check file contents option is set this will necessarily add to the time required to sync files, although with greater integrity.
    To work-around this I have made the choice to exclude files with the ISO extension from my syncronizations.  I must then manually copy any changed ISO files to my back-up locations.  I still enjoy the main benefit of SyncToy which is to syncronize files in both directions between my portable HDD and PC.
    It is my hope that a technical solution will be available in the future to facilitate handling of large files.
    Shasta
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Synctoy does support ISO files syncing and even large size files >5G. I did a small check with a few .ISO files with size ~ 600Mb, it worked well.
    And just like Shasta said, Synctoy will use more time to sync large size file at the first sync, could you check it did not exclude the ISO files, just slow than others?

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:35 AM