Removing Customer Portal bits from CRM 2011 Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to know how to remove the Customer Portal bits from CRM 2011 Online.  We originally deployed the portal to Windows Azure but have now decided we'd like to have it hosted somewhere else.  We'd like to remove the old stuff before we re-deploy.  Please advise.  Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:30 PM

Answers

• hi,

If you want to save the structure of your existing website then use WebsiteCopy tool to export the website to an XML file. This XML file can then be uploaded into your new CRM Org after you import the "MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal" solution there.

You can then uninstall the solution from your existing Online Org by going to Settings –> solutions –> Select the “MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal” in the grid -> uninstall

Ideally, if you are just moving from Azure to you own IIS Site deployment for the portal website then I believe you do not need to uninstall the
    “MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal” from your CRM 2011 Online. You just need to make update to your web application in CustomerPortal.sln to accommodate the changes.

If you are asking about moving to a hosted (Onpremise) deployment of CRM & deploying your website on you intranet then you can refer to the blog below. http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity

For details on using Customer Portal with other configurations, see the following web article:
    http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/using-asp-net-mvc-with-different-versions-of-iis-cs

Which is also called out in the document accompaning the Solution download-> Customer Portal Deployment Guide_OnPremises_V2.0.docx.

Let me know if this answers your question.

thanks,

RBaliga

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

You can remove the Customer Portal solution from CRM as follows:

1. Back up any customizations you made to the website by running websitecopy.exe as RBaliga mentions above.

2. Delete all the site content by navigating to "Content Management" and deleting the content under "Web Pages", "Web Files", etc for the portal you're trying to remove.

3. Uninstall the Customer Portal solution from Settings -> Customization -> Solutions

Note, you don't *need* to uninstall the portal if you just want to update the hosting mechanism in the same CRM Online org. You can simply move the site from Azure to anywhere else and it will just continue to work as before. While the web site is built on top of the CRM solution, the solution is not aware of how it is hosted. You'll probably save some time if you just leave the CRM solution as-is and just redeploy the website.

- Palak

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:30 AM

All replies

• hi,

If you want to save the structure of your existing website then use WebsiteCopy tool to export the website to an XML file. This XML file can then be uploaded into your new CRM Org after you import the "MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal" solution there.

You can then uninstall the solution from your existing Online Org by going to Settings –> solutions –> Select the “MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal” in the grid -> uninstall

Ideally, if you are just moving from Azure to you own IIS Site deployment for the portal website then I believe you do not need to uninstall the
    “MicrosoftXrmCustomerPortal” from your CRM 2011 Online. You just need to make update to your web application in CustomerPortal.sln to accommodate the changes.

If you are asking about moving to a hosted (Onpremise) deployment of CRM & deploying your website on you intranet then you can refer to the blog below. http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity

For details on using Customer Portal with other configurations, see the following web article:
    http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/using-asp-net-mvc-with-different-versions-of-iis-cs

Which is also called out in the document accompaning the Solution download-> Customer Portal Deployment Guide_OnPremises_V2.0.docx.

Let me know if this answers your question.

thanks,

RBaliga

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Thanks,

I am truly interested in fully removing the Customer Portal from our Online Org and re-deploying it for our Online Org but on something other than Windows Azure.  We've found Azure to be an expensive option compared to lets say a hosted cloud server from Rackspace.  I've also happened to nuke my SRC tree thus deleting our Customer Portal VS solution by accident.  So I'm thinking we will need to completely remove the old Customer Portal and re-deploy it again on our new server.  This will have no impact on our customers since we haven't went "Live" yet.  Any other thoughts on this before I give it a go?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:12 PM
  • hi Brandon,

Thanks for letting me know. I don't see any issue in uninstall & redeploy to a new CRM Online Server.

I am not in a position to answer your question on what could be the right choice in terms of budget/saving as I have not expored it myself. I will post if I get some information for you.

Good luck,

RBaliga 

Meanwhile to other helpers of this forum, please chime on this post to help Brandon identify ideal option :)

Friday, April 22, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

You can remove the Customer Portal solution from CRM as follows:

1. Back up any customizations you made to the website by running websitecopy.exe as RBaliga mentions above.

2. Delete all the site content by navigating to "Content Management" and deleting the content under "Web Pages", "Web Files", etc for the portal you're trying to remove.

3. Uninstall the Customer Portal solution from Settings -> Customization -> Solutions

Note, you don't *need* to uninstall the portal if you just want to update the hosting mechanism in the same CRM Online org. You can simply move the site from Azure to anywhere else and it will just continue to work as before. While the web site is built on top of the CRM solution, the solution is not aware of how it is hosted. You'll probably save some time if you just leave the CRM solution as-is and just redeploy the website.

- Palak

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Hi Palak,

The reason I was wanting to wipe and re-deploy the customer portal is because I accidentally nuked my customer portal source code.  I suppose I could try to figure out how to do this without re-deploying the entire thing.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to download the customer portal again.  When I navigate to http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-us/applications/customer-portal-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-12884910826 there is a button 'Try It' but all it does is redirect me to some page that does not contain a download link.  Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

sqlrepl.com
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Hey Brandon,

When you say you nuked the portal source code - do you mean the website code? If so, you can just use the code that comes with the cab file and change the web-config in it to point to your existing CRM portal and it will work.

For the download, when you click "try it" does it ask you to accept/cancel the EULA? If so, you need to accept it and it will automatically ask you to save the cab file.

- Palak

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi Palak,

I was able to deploy the Customer Portal to a partner-hosted server.  Thank you very much for your help.

Thank you for your help as well RBaliga.

sqlrepl.com
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:06 AM