none
Installed Windows XP SP3, now it wants me to activate. RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I installed the Windows XP SP3 thru Automatic Update, I'm being asked to activate my windows.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3,  55277-OEM-00119093-00102, Dell Computers.  XP was originally installed by Dell and I have been successfully gettin Automatic Update until just couple of days ago.  Each time I updated MS validated the Windows as genuine until SP3.

I also ran the MGA Diagnostics and the result was: (OK, it's embarassing, my Office was not genuine.  I had my nephew install so it's my fault)

I also got this when I ran Windows XP Validation Advisor Beta

Product Key Comparison Details

Product key you entered: Product key found on your PC: Match:
    Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT Yes
    Operating system: Windows XP Home Windows XP Home Yes
    License type: Other Other Yes

So now what?  I've tried activiating thru Internet and Phone and NOTHING WORKS.  Help.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {6E3F46DD-D055-4A88-AFDA-CBDBC53AA052}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: Not Activated

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[hr = 0x80070714]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6E3F46DD-D055-4A88-AFDA-CBDBC53AA052}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-737402040-182360831-1496171822</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 5100                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A28</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040116000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>8CCC3907018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell INSPIRON I5100</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17894</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="17" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dear kintaroh

After reviewing the data from the report you submitted, I’d like to suggest two things for you to try.

#1 Uninstall Microsoft Office immediately without delay. You have a blocked Product Key for that program. Hopefully this will contribute to the overall wellness of your computer.

#2 Telephone Activation as my report indicates that your product key is not activated.

How to Activate Windows XP by Phone

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Here is the website for international support and the contact information:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 4:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 6:17 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 4:47 PM
  •  

Kintaroh,

The fact that you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity for Windows XP Professional affixed to your system indicates there is a strong likelihood your system is still licensed to run XP Home.

Please click on this link: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx in order to receive detailed instructions for updating and using the Product Key (PK) Update Utility. Next you will be required to select the Windows version currently installed on your system. The PK utility was designed to update the non-genuine key previously used to activate XP and/or Vista with a known good key.

If the non-genuine installation of XP is not too "hacked and cracked" the utility should be able to make Windows genuine.  If you have antivirus, antispyware, or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the product key update utility to have full access to the internet so it may perform correctly. Please post back to tell us if it worked for you.

An website worth noting: http://www.howtotell.com/ will give you information regarding COA’s.

I hope this information helps,

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 6:28 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I followed your suggestion and ran The Windows Product Key Update Tool.

I got these error message.  What do I do now?  I am not having any luck trying to locate my Windows XP disk that came with my Dell so reinstallaion might be a bit difficult as of now.  I'll keep looking, it's gotta be somewhere in the house. 

---------------------------
    Windows Product Key Update Tool
    ---------------------------
    One or more Windows files are modified or corrupted. Modified or corrupted files can cause unexpected behavior, system instability, and data loss. Do you want to proceed with the product key update at your own risk?

File does not exist:   C:WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin
    Validation failed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat
    Validation failed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:10 AM
  • kintaroh,

I suggest calling your computer's manufacturer to get replacement media. I may even have it for you... Or telephone activation as shown above.

Here is the contact information for Dell. If it is incorrect, their information can be found a Dell.com.

Dell Computer

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False 

http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/?category.id=software

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&journalid=42D67CDF2508563DE040A68F5A28695C&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for replace a lost Dell system restore disk

800- 624-9896

Respectfully,

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:10 PM