none
Missing ulsata.sys, error 14 on install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After installing WHS RTM, once my computer reboots (off the hard-disk) I recieve this error. I try to press F6 to install third party drivers, but I am only able to press F2 to use Automatic System Recovery. I am installing third party drivers during the DVD-required phase of the installation. They are Windows 2000 drivers for my Maxtor SATA 150 PCI card (there are no W2k3 drivers).

Any thoughts? Here is the exact error message:

File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\WinXP\UlSata.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 14. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, February 2, 2009 4:36 PM Hardware/install thread (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Monday, October 8, 2007 2:58 AM

Answers

• Missing driver file upon first reboot

Example:

File \$Win_NT$.~bt\$OEM$\Win_2000\m5287.sys could not be loaded, error 14.

This is caused by Server 2003 loading an incorrect driver. txtsetup.oem is included with your driver, in the same directory as the driver inf file or in the parent directory. Make sure your [Defaults] section in txtsetup.oem points to the correct driver for Windows Server 2003.  If there does not seem to be a Windows Server 2003 driver, use the XP driver. Do not use a 64-bit driver. Example:

[Disks]

d1 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \

d2 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \win_2000

d3 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \win_xp

d4 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \winxpA64

[Defaults]

scsi = m5287XP

[scsi]

m5287XP = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Windows XP/Server 2003)", m5287

m52872K = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Win2000)", m5287

m5287XPA64 = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Windows XP/Server 2003  AMD 64-bit Edition)", m5287

The correct driver is m5287XP. Using m52872K or m5287XPA64 will likely result in a missing driver file error.

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:22 PM

All replies

•  alamb wrote:

Hello,

After installing WHS RTM, once my computer reboots (off the hard-disk) I recieve this error. I try to press F6 to install third party drivers, but I am only able to press F2 to use Automatic System Recovery. I am installing third party drivers during the DVD-required phase of the installation. They are Windows 2000 drivers for my Maxtor SATA 150 PCI card (there are no W2k3 drivers).

Any thoughts? Here is the exact error message:

File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\WinXP\UlSata.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 14. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

My best guess would be because you are using W2K drivers....

Monday, October 8, 2007 3:09 AM
  • The window for pressing F6 to load additional storage drivers is rather small. The best advice I can give is to try again (and again). I can usually get it about 2 out of three tries, these days.

And if there are Windows XP drivers available, you can try those instead.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 4:58 AM
  • I have tried re-installing with the Windows XP drivers and trying to press F6 numerous times. Neither have worked. Perhaps it's a bad burn (although I did check CRC) so I will go back and try again.
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:09 AM
  • I had the same problem. How did you copy the files to the WHS during install? Did you use a USB floppy or flash drive as suggested in the manual? Because if you did, I found that it doesn't work (tried in RC and RTM and didn't work either time). The text-based portion of the setup seems to want to copy the storage drivers a second time, and on my system at least, it cannot read from USB devices, so it bombs with the error you described without letting you even pick a new location for the drivers.

To get around this, I used a 'normal' floppy disk drive instead of a USB (during both the graphical and text-based portion of the setip), and was able to use the F6 command to load the drivers when required.

Hope that helps!
    Sunday, October 14, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I am getting the same problem, I am not able to install from floppy, hitting F6 repeatedly over multiple boots isn't working.

I've spent two full days and so far, 16 full attempts at installation on a fairly modern machine.  This is absurdly frustrating to be using a FLOPPY DISK to help install a new piece of server software in 2007!

In the 16 attempts at installing this software, I've tried several permutations of various drivers, hard drives BIOS settings and controllers.  I keep coming up against the same stupid error.

For the record, I'm installing this on an old Voodoo box that is based on the Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard with the Promise 378 and VIA VT 8237 south controller.  I have 2gb RAM and 3 Seagate 7200.11 1Tb drives.  I've tried the WinXP, and Win2000 and server2003 drivers for these controllers.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  stevo.k wrote:
    I am getting the same problem, I am not able to install from floppy, hitting F6 repeatedly over multiple boots isn't working.

I've spent two full days and so far, 16 full attempts at installation on a fairly modern machine.  This is absurdly frustrating to be using a FLOPPY DISK to help install a new piece of server software in 2007!

If I remember correctly, someone from MS Dev team said that you can also supply drivers from a USB flash drive during the GUI setup at the beginning, and there should be a setting to use those same drivers for the second time they are necessary (when you would normally need to press F6).

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:37 AM
  • Try setting up your USB thumb drive with a qs.ini file:

1. On the USB thumb drive, create a 'Drivers' folder
    2. Create a folder within the Drivers folder called 'sata' > copy the drivers for your SATA controller into the 'sata' folder
    3. Open Notepad and paste the following code snippet into the notepad document:

Code Block

[Q Setup]
    ProductKey=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
    ServerName=YourServername 
    StorageDriver=_:\sata\nvraid.inf

4. In this example, I'm using an nvidia storage driver - replace 'nvraid.inf' with the .inf file that should be located in your USBThumbdrive:\Drivers\sata folder

5. Replace the 0's in the product key with your own product key

6. Replace YourServername with the name you'd like your server to be named

7. In Notepad, click File > Save as.. > click the 'Save as type' menu and select 'All files' > type 'qs.ini' into the 'Filename' field without the 's > browse to the USB thumb drive and save the qs.ini file to the root (outside of the Drivers folder)

8. Your USB thumb drive should now have the following contents (assuming the drive letter is GSmile

G:\qs.ini

G:\Drivers

G:\Drivers\sata

G:\Drivers\sata\(*.inf, *.sys, *.cat files - more may be included with your drivers, ensure they are all copied to this folder) 

9. Plug the USB thumb drive into the rear of the computer and boot to the installation DVD

It's also handy to include an 'ethernet' and an 'smbus' folder within the Drivers folder, however they do not need to be commented into the qs.ini file.

• Proposed as answer by Marc C Brooks Friday, July 31, 2009 9:14 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work.  As WHS was running setup it gave an error message that installation failed and after checking the error log it reported that it found the storage driver (ulsata.inf) but when it looked for template _:\sata\ulsata.inf, error 3.

Cannot find .inf file on media (0x80070002)

Any other ideas?

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:51 PM
  •  

I was able to get past that error message by copying the \sata\ folder to the root of the thumbdrive.  Installation continued as normal, copied the files to the hard drive, rebooted and at the blue screen Windows Setup, I got the same old error"

File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\Win2003\UlSata.sys could not be loaded.  The error code is 14

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

????

Friday, November 23, 2007 6:26 PM
  •  stevo.k wrote:

????

Yup, same issue. I was using a retail OEM disc, followed all suggestions above, in the end, put on some old tin with IDE drive. This should not happen with a release version.

regards

Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Is your SATA controller in AHCI or ATA mode? If AHCI, please try ATA and let us know how it goes.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Marc, thanks for following along here, I appreciate your help even though it's not yet resolved.  I haven't met a computer problem in 25 years that I couldn't figure out, but this definitely ranks as one of the strangest. 

As per the AHCI or ATA question, I have to confess that I'm not really sure, but in the BIOS the only option for the OnBoard Promise Controller (which is what I have the drive connected to) is Enable/Disable and then Operating Mode is either RAID Mode/Onboard IDE Mode.  I have it set to onboard IDE.

In this machine's previous life it ran XP with SATA drives.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Further to this situation, on install attempt number 24 I went back to the VIA controller, got the appropriate drivers, copied them to the thumbdrive in the root, the \drivers folder, the \sata folder and the \winxp folder just to make sure they got picked up even if there was an errant pointer somewhere in the install code. 

I updated the qs.ini file to reflect the changes and tried the install again.  As usual it got through the first stage of the install ok, apparently formatting the drive and copying the installation to the drive.  It reboots, says Setup is starting Windows and gives me the same old error 14 message.

I then physically removed the drive from the machine and put it into an external drive enclosure and attached it to my Vista machine.  I was hoping to copy the driver file to the proper location in the folder structure.  The drive was recognized but prompted to be formatted.  Under disk management it shows up, but with a RAW file system.  I was unable to do anything further.

Looks like I finally met my match.  Also looks like I wasted a ton of money on WHS and the four 1Tb drives I got for it. 

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Well.... I almost gave up too soon.  I re-read all the posts here and saw the one about just using a floppy disk only for the install.  I yanked the thumbdrive and just used an old floppy and.....drumroll please... IT WORKED!!!!!

Whoo Hooo!!!!

So, the lesson here is don't throw out any old hardware or media.  I had actually just done a purge recently and got rid of a bunch of archaic stuff and luckily my wife still had an old 1.44 floppy in her drawer and my old laptop still had a floppy drive.  Still, it IS 2007, should we need a floppy to install software????

Thanks to all the posters along the way. 

Note to MS, there is apparently a bug in the install routine relating to this issue. 

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:52 PM
  • FYI I am submitting a bug with the WHS team on this thumbdrive issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Missing driver file upon first reboot

Example:

File \$Win_NT$.~bt\$OEM$\Win_2000\m5287.sys could not be loaded, error 14.

This is caused by Server 2003 loading an incorrect driver. txtsetup.oem is included with your driver, in the same directory as the driver inf file or in the parent directory. Make sure your [Defaults] section in txtsetup.oem points to the correct driver for Windows Server 2003.  If there does not seem to be a Windows Server 2003 driver, use the XP driver. Do not use a 64-bit driver. Example:

[Disks]

d1 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \

d2 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \win_2000

d3 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \win_xp

d4 = "ULi SATA Controller Driver Diskette", \Disk1, \winxpA64

[Defaults]

scsi = m5287XP

[scsi]

m5287XP = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Windows XP/Server 2003)", m5287

m52872K = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Win2000)", m5287

m5287XPA64 = "ULi SATA Controller (M5287, Windows XP/Server 2003  AMD 64-bit Edition)", m5287

The correct driver is m5287XP. Using m52872K or m5287XPA64 will likely result in a missing driver file error.

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:22 PM
  • Marc,

As I mentioned, I put the drivers in every folder including the \root, \drivers, \drivers\winxp, \winxp  when I preloaded the thumbdrive.  I still encountered the same issue regardless.  Only when I strictly used a floppy for both the GUI and text part of the install did it work properly.  I copied what was on the thumbdrive to the floppy, so I know it was identical.  I am quite certain there is a bug in the routine that handles the usb drive.

In any case, I am happy to report that I was able to complete the installation and was able to add the other drives on the other controller quite easily from within WHS.  I also had to install the drivers for my ethernet card, but it didn't work until I used the Win2003 drivers.

WHS is dead simple once it's installed and I'm just going through the process of compiling all my photos, music, etc.  into a coherent structure.  Quite easy to work with.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Hey folks, FYI...as Marc described above, I was able to get it working from a USB thumb drive by creating the correct directory structure and changing the TXTSETUP.OEM file so it would default to the correct Win2003 driver.  This was for a Promise SATA 300 driver, by the way.

Surprise)

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:43 PM
  •  

I had the same problem but got it resolved with a floppy disc.  The directory structure was:

a:\readme.txt

a:\txtsetup.oem

a:\DISK1

a:\win_XP\m5287.sys

a:\win_XP\m5287.cat

a:\win_XP\m5287.inf

This was for a ULi disc controller with a WD 160GB disc drive.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:59 PM
  • I had the same problem using my onboard Via RAID drivers. When I received the error 14 at the 2003 server install, I rebooted off a Vista CD, leaving the USB key in the machine. I then went into repair mode, loaded the sata drivers (into the vista installer) and opened a command prompt.

I found the directory it was referring to \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\2003ia32\ did not exist. The necessary INI files had instead been copied to \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\ directory. Using the command prompt I created the 2003ia32\ directory and copied the necessary files in.

After rebooting with the WHS DVD back in the drive and letting the installation continue (not starting again), the server install worked successfully now. I have posted a step by step guide here.

This definitely appears to be a problem with the install scripts and I am not sure of an easy work around for the non-technical 'home server admins'.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:51 AM
  • Have the same problem, same error code on reinstall from OEM DVD. during the initial setup WipPE env, I was able to add the Via Raid controller and Whs saw the drive, appeared to copy driver files from the driver cd then on first boot from the newly formatted sys volume, I get the error. Attempts to "install third party controller" fails. Windows does not aknowledge the pressing of the F6 key, just skips right past. So much for being able to salvage my existing backups created while using the CTP edition. Sucks bad. Now as per instructions can only do "New install" only one shot at the Reinstallation and preserve files.... Will try to fdisk the drive and create new 20 gig sys partition and see if Whs still craps out. 

error is \$win_nt$.~BT\$OEM$\winxp\viasraid.sys could not be loaded

The error code is 14

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:27 AM
  • HI

I am having a network problem, i find that the PCI device it missing and also find that the PCSCI card adapters for laptop which it not combatable to the computer.

Can you tel me how to solved the problem

Thank you 

• Proposed as answer by Satyrion Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:02 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2008 6:14 PM
  • I just spent the entire weekend, trying to solve this error 14/18 problem for my Promise SATA300 TX4-card and finally I think I did!

I reformatted my USB thumbdrive to FAT16 and copied over the driver just like it should have been on a floppy, no editing files or something, and it worked perfectly!

So it seems that the problem is that the text-based part (and/or maybe the GUI-part or something between them) of the setup just can't load drivers from FAT32.
    Worth a mention tho, is that I used a second USB thumbdrive to install WHS with and that USB was formatted in FAT32.

I would be happy if someone can try it out and please verify if it works for others than me with a FAT16 thumbdrive.
    • Proposed as answer by Jenus Friday, May 15, 2009 11:30 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:28 AM
  • I have a simular problem.

I have the oem version, and tried to do a reinstall.

the installer stared up just fine, i got to choose my Sata controller card drivers (i have a sunix SATA2100) from a usb sick, when i tried win2003 drivers it said, faild to load driver, so i choose win2k drivers instead.

everthing continued fine until the installer wanted to reboot.

then i got the error 14 mess, and im unible to get press F6 to work, i have tried formating it to FAT16 and connecting a floppy drive (with a bland floppy tho)

no luck

so what sould i do now, the card worked on my old install (but that time i installed it from windows after it had installed)

when i try to start the install from the dvd i can only choose New Install, and i guess if i do that all my data on the pool drives will be lose, right ?

best regards Satyrion
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Yes - don't use "New Install" if you want to keep your data. Are there any Windows XP drivers available for your controller? It must be 32-bit drivers (which I suspect your Win 2003 ones aren't)
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Thanks for you fast awnser.

Yes there are winxp 32bit drivers for my Sata card, but how do i get WHS to install them without doing a new install?

//Best Regards Satyrion
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:49 PM
  • You'll need to press F6 twice during the process to load the SATA drivers, once during the DOS portion and once during the Windows portion. The other option is to slipstream the drivers into your install disk.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I'we tried to use the F6 way atleast 15 times, both with a usbstick and a floppydisk, i won't respond and just gose to the error 14 mess again.

Don't think i can slipstream it either, its an original WHS Dvd disk.

If i could, i would just do a new install and select the correct drives, but the all my saved data will be lost :(

any ides ?

//Best Regards Satyrion
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:58 PM
  • I had the same problem since yesterday. I have found that it is an easy fix. I notice the error said "File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\winxp\viasraid.sys could not be loaded", but when I took out the system drive and put it in my pc, the file structure was like this $WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\viasraid.sys. so all I did was create a folder named "winxp" in the \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\ folder and moved the INF, SYS and Cat files into the winxp folder that I created. put the drive back in server and boot. It woked perfectly
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Thank you sooooo much bobeto, it worked beautifully! finally!

no thanks to microsoft :)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Can not believe this is still a problem.  the fix above worked for me "MAR 2010"

Thanks abunch!
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:57 PM