Is Windows Live Onecare compatiable with Microsoft Security Essentials? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have this strange sound that occassionally is heard when I open a url using IE7. It sounds like OOOHHHMMMMPPPPPP_AAAHHH_PHIFT. I have not been able to find a sequence of events to cause this sound to readily re-occur, very random. I cannot find where this sound is coming from. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 & Microsoft Security Essentials running concurrently. Both programs run clean without detection of any malware. The sound is so strange, I find it hard to believe Microsoft would use it as a default warning signal. In an effort to eliminate this strange sound, I installed Windows Live OneCare addon to my browser. Now when ever I attempt to run OneCare scanner, I immediately hear the sound, and OneCare does not launch. I'm not sure if it's a virus that's preventing OneCare from scanning my system or it's because OneCare has been replaced by Security Essentials. I have just rebuilt my system from an email virus, so I'm extremely paranoid.  WinXP Home V2002, SP3, Pentium4, 1GB,
    Regards, DAS4321
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Friday, February 26, 2010 1:10 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Friday, February 26, 2010 1:11 AM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:58 PM

All replies

• If you are using Norton Internet Security you should not have Microsoft Security Essentials or any other antivirus product installed. Having more than one antivirus product on a computer can cause conflicts and performance issues. Uninstalling all but one antivirus product may also eliminate or at least minimize the strange sound, probably your hard drive thrashing, which may be caused by multiple scanners attempting to scan the same files.

Jim 
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I know that having multiple anti-virus programs running concurrently is a bad idea. So I have uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials. The strange sound is not my disk drive thrashing. It is definitely coming out of the speaker system. I also turned off Norton for 15 minutes and I still get the same sound and Onecare fails to launch. I will reboot and try it again. There are many examples of this issue on the WEB. if you google "strange sound" and IE ( also other words to search for ) this is an extremely difficult issue to discribe in words, but many others have had similiar complaints and no definitive answer. Can you tell me what sound file format Internet Explorer uses for it's various prompts? (WAV, MP2, WMA ) and which default directory path?
    Regards, DAS4321

OK, I rebooted, and then tried to run Onecare, same strange noise, sounds like a kazoo blast.
    I have a screen capture with audio, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvYowSqNTA
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:47 PM
  • I've moved this thread to the off topic folder since it is not a One Care issue. The sound in the video is quite interesting. You might try a different sound scheme to see if the results are different but the best place for help with this would be the Windows XP forums - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:18 AM