Copy not Genuine? Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I purchased a Genuine copy of Windows Vista Home basic,
    I successfully installed it but I was curious to find out how good Vista Ultimate was - 
    I Re-Inserted the Installation disk and pressed Vista Ultimate, It installed properly but when I got on I got a message in the bottom right-hand corner of my desktop saying "Copy of Windows not Genuine", I tried to change back to Vista home But it would not let me. Is there any way of changing back to Home basic without wiping my files? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Ps, I ONLY CHOOSE VISTA ULTIMATE AS MY OPERATING SYSTEM TO SEE HOW IT WAS.

• Edited by SamBuckley Monday, August 25, 2008 6:31 PM Wrong Spelling
    • Moved by RickImAPC Monday, August 25, 2008 8:46 PM Vista GA Question (Moved from Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP) to Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Monday, August 25, 2008 6:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• The key that was provided to you is for home only, even though ultimate is available on the same DVD.
    That is why you are getting the message.  Unfortunatly, there is no way to downgrade to Home.  You will need to format and re-install to get the proper installation back. 

I'm not with MS, but I did tech support for Dell  for 8 years, and was there for the launch of Vista.  It was built to be so tight, that you can't sneeze without UAC comming up and asking if you want to continue.

Now if somweone from MS says differently, I will eat my words, but I am pretty sure you will need to format and re-install Home. 
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:17 PM
  •  SamBuckley,

Please post your question in the Vista Installation newsgroup:  http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup&lang=en&cr=US&r=fc1b61c0-9919-4c89-b6d4-80a07ffad2e2

Good Luck!

PS--I think you're gonna have to reinstall like Timmyyy wrote.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:30 PM