Windows Home Server Trial Version Expiry? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Ive had my home server running for a few weeks and think its great.

Id using the '120-day' free trial which is due to expire in February 2009.

Id like to know when it expires do i have to purchase a new copy and format the hard drive and do a fresh install? Or can i buy a licence from somewhere and enter it when it asks for it?

Or something else?

Many Thanks
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    usually the server trial should work 120 days from installation. Sometimes it happened in the past, that this time has not been completed.
    You need to buy a WHS package via OEM or system builder channels, if you want to install WHS on your own hardware.
    Insert the DVD, boot from it and select Server reinstall instead of New install. This will preserve backups and files in shared folders, but wipe the content of drive C:. So you get a fresh installed WHS again, which you should patch up and after this is done, you need to add the user accounts again, eventual Add ons and run discovery.exe from the Program Files\Windows Home Server folder on each client PC.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    usually the server trial should work 120 days from installation. Sometimes it happened in the past, that this time has not been completed.
    You need to buy a WHS package via OEM or system builder channels, if you want to install WHS on your own hardware.
    Insert the DVD, boot from it and select Server reinstall instead of New install. This will preserve backups and files in shared folders, but wipe the content of drive C:. So you get a fresh installed WHS again, which you should patch up and after this is done, you need to add the user accounts again, eventual Add ons and run discovery.exe from the Program Files\Windows Home Server folder on each client PC.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:11 PM
  • There is a full write up on the We Got Served Forums of how to "upgrade" from the trial version to the full OEM - and what happens to the various files, backups, accounts etc
    Friday, September 19, 2008 11:30 AM