MS Money Portfolio Manager Doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using MS money since it was first released in the'90s.  I'm now using Money Plus Deluxe.  I haven't transitioned to the sunset edition yet.  I plan to wait until transaction downloading is terminated at the end of the year before I do that.  Suddenly, about two months ago, the Portfolio Manager stopped working.  When I click on Portfolio, I get an empty screen.  No errors, and all of the frames and menus are present.  The window title is displayed as "Portfolio Manager" and the current date/time is displayed on the top left.  But the entire rest of the window is empty except for the "Quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes" disclaimer at the bottom.  All other features of Money seem to be working as normal.  I've used the Repair Money File option, but it reports no broken records.  I've tried numerous older .mny files - some several years old - and they all behave the same way.  I've been forced to use the 'Performance by Investment Account" report to see what my positions are in any account.  The problem seems to have appeared shortly after I installed MS Streets & Trips 2010 on my PC.  I tried restoring my system to a point prior to the Streets install, but couldn't find a restore point early enough.  Any suggestions?

Saturday, September 18, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• I would reinstall Money.

If that does not fix it, consider setting IE to defaults. You could also see if the problem exists when running Money as a different Windows user. If that works, then the problem would be some setting associated with the user.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Thanks Cal.  I failed ot mention in my original post that I had already reinstalled Money (several times) and uninstalled Streets & Trips, ...  Basically, reinstalling had no noticable (beneficial) effect.  I'm not sure why IE defaults would/should impact an 'internal' function of Money.  And, as far as I know, I'm using the basic Microsoft-recommended defaults across the board.  But, at your suggestion, I checked/reset my defaults.  Again, no impact.  I'm curious to see if installing the Money sunset edtion might correct the problem, but I hesitate to do that because doing so will immediately terminate my ability to download financial statements, which I'd prefer to retain- even if only for another 90 days.  So I'll wait for January to migrate to the sunset edition. 

The only other user account on my PC is the Adminstrator.  So, I tried running Money as the Administrator ... portfolio manager still doesn't display.

I was hoping that my issue wasn't unique to me and that it would be 'merely' a matter of replacing/upgrading some dll somewhere.  So much for that.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:23 PM
  • I'm not sure why IE defaults would/should impact an 'internal' function of Money.

For the record, this is because Money uses the IE objects heavily to implement its user interface, communications, and so forth. Money provided business logic unique to Money--but it reused components from elsewhere in Microsoft for the UI (IE) and database (Jet and its apparently close relative MSISAM) and probably for other things we don't know about.

All of this enabled Microsoft to implement Money (M98 and beyond) with high function for relatively cheap. But I suspect it may have been a double edged sword: when the component owners moved on, the Money group couldn't or wouldn't make a business case for moving on with them. They were probably facing pretty steep investment to replace MSISAM (Jet having been passed back to the Office/Access group and removed from the "core" strategic MS platforms) and to implement a more modern interface with IE. They were probably looking at a development project larger than the one they undertook to do M98 while having never gotten a return on that investment.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Dick: Having worked in the s/w devel business for 30 years, I totally understand what you're saying.  And what you're saying makes it sound even more as though my issue is a configuration issue.  I just can't think of anything else to tweak to regain the portfolio manager functionality.  I'm planning to migrate my desktop system to Win-7 soon.  Perhaps when I do that, and have the pleasure of reinstalling all my apps yet again (for some reason. I prefer 'clean' installs over those migrated from Vista to Win-7,) the portfolio manager will magically begin working again.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:30 PM
  • CharlieWright,

Are you still having problems with Portfolio Manager.  I have exactly the same problem with one of my windows 7 machines while it works fine with my other Windows 7 machine.  I have set IE to default, reinstalled numerous times, and am frustrated.  Did you find a solution?

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Try copying sample.mny from your Money install folder to your Documents folder. See if the Portfolio works when you open that file.

Another thing to try would be to create a new user, and see if you open a Money file as that user, if things work for you.

These will help figure out if the problem is associated with the user or with the Money file.

Monday, October 11, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Cal,

I am pretty sure it is a user problem, as the money file that I have used works on all my other machines.  I did open up new standard user, but the Money program doesn't show.  Do I have to reinstall it under my new user?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:34 AM
  • I am thinking that when you install something, Windows asks if you want it installed just for the current user or for all users. The difference may only be where to put the launch shortcut.

In my Money launch shortcut, the Target field has "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe" with the quotes. In the StartIn field, there is the same. Hmmm.

Anyway, you could try launching Money as that other user by opening a command window and executing that string including the quotes. You could also try making a shortcut in the other user's desktop and use that to start Money.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Did you or anyone else ever find a solution to this.  I have searched the internet to no avail and do not want to give up on almost 20 years of managing my finances with MS Money.
    Monday, June 30, 2014 1:44 AM