delta file would be too large RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what this error is trying to tell me and how to resolve it?

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OCS Address Book Server
    Event Category: (1008)
    Event ID: 21012
    Date: 9/11/2008
    Time: 1:30:55 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NEOCSP
    Description:
    A delta file would be too large in relation to the full file it is based on.  The delta file will not be generated.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\D-0aea-0afa.dabs (629 changes to 626 contacts)
    Cause: A delta file is generated in memory.  If the number of new/updated contacts plus the number of deleted contacts is greater than a configured percentage of the number of contacts in the base file, the delta file is not generated because it would be quicker for the client to just download the full file.
    Resolution:
    None needed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:08 PM

Answers

• Ok, I checked this out in my lab.  I simply deleted all of the existing .lsabs and .dabs file from the Address Book Files directory (being careful to not remove the normalization-related text files) and then manually kicked off "abserver -RegenUR" and "abserver -SyncNow" while viewing the OCS event log.

Once the -syncnow commmand completed I was left with just a single pair of .lsabs and .dabs files.  I didn't see any errors and OC clients are downloading the new AB fine.  The previous warning is no longer appearing as their are no longer any delta files.

So if that error is really bothering you I suppose you can delete and recreate the ABS files in this manner. Keep in mind that now clients will have to redownload the entire new file as the delta files no longer exist.  I'm sure in a porduction environment this will just poip up again after enough changes are made in the future, especially if some scripts update objects in bulk.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:25 PM

All replies

• Is this a trick question?

It's telling you that "the delta file is not generated because it would be quicker for the client to just download the full file".

And the resolution is given in the text: "None needed."

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Hi Jeff,
    Not really a trick question.  I'm just trying to see what I need to do to stop the error from happening each night.

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Ok, I checked this out in my lab.  I simply deleted all of the existing .lsabs and .dabs file from the Address Book Files directory (being careful to not remove the normalization-related text files) and then manually kicked off "abserver -RegenUR" and "abserver -SyncNow" while viewing the OCS event log.

Once the -syncnow commmand completed I was left with just a single pair of .lsabs and .dabs files.  I didn't see any errors and OC clients are downloading the new AB fine.  The previous warning is no longer appearing as their are no longer any delta files.

So if that error is really bothering you I suppose you can delete and recreate the ABS files in this manner. Keep in mind that now clients will have to redownload the entire new file as the delta files no longer exist.  I'm sure in a porduction environment this will just poip up again after enough changes are made in the future, especially if some scripts update objects in bulk.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Jeff,
    Thank you very much.  It worked just like you said.
    Bob
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:49 AM
  • FYI, take a look at your directory now and I'll bet you already see multiple grouping of new files added each morning at 1:30AM.  Even in my lab where I have very few changes I'm already getting the same warning messages again.  This just underlines my previous point that this warning message's recommendation to take no action is correct.  This behaivor is as-designed.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:43 PM
  •  

Thanks Jeff - worked great!
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:22 PM
  • If you really want to get rid of this message you can change the way absserver handles delta files with absconfig.exe. The option is on the WMI tab:

'Create a delta ABS file, only if the ABS file is changed by specified percentage' (defaults to 12,5%)

I guess if you raise this percentage to 100% no delta files will ever be generated and the eventlog entries will stop.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:08 PM