Limit on number of drives supported by WHS? 18..and counting RRS feed

• Question

•  

Was just wondering about this. Seems to be working OK so far.

I've got 18 drives..Server is in my office, and the other 14 drives are in an old external FC JBOD in the garage.

The 14 drives show as location "unknown". I guess they only like SATA as an interface...hehe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21984679@N02/2122273072/

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:47 AM

All replies

• Wow, I feel inferior as I only have 4 internal disks and 2 external for a total of 1.78TB!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:40 PM
  •  

now you just have to hit the max size of 16tb
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I believe it will do 24 without a problem, if there is one it will be the drive after Z.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:49 PM

• Cool!  I've got 15 on my WHS and it's working great!

Pic here!

Is there a limit to the space that WHS will manage?  I posted a query about that 2 months ago!  (here)

I've got a ways to go anyway!
    Friday, December 28, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Yes..now, if only I still didn't see easily reproducable file corruption on large files, this would actually be useful.

I guess the next step is reliable hardware RAID, and disabling drive extender...

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:18 AM
  • I have 16 500GB drives in a hardware raid configuration (RAID6) and really need to know if I can take the array and use it without reformatting it?  I use a different drive for the OS and don't mind formatting it during installation.  I just need to know if I will be required to format it for use in WHS.  I have a lot of data I can't backup.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:47 PM

• WHS won't use any drives in a storage pool without reformatting, that's part of the whole process of adding the drives.  Besides, WHS isn't likely to use such a large array as one drive anyhow.  Others that I've read about state they have issues adding arrays that surpass the 2TB level.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 9:02 PM