How to regain your desktop after windows genuine says you have a not actavated verison product key in valid error code windows defender wont update 0x80070426 cant load my control panel or open some windows programs RRS feed

• Question

• None of these options gave me a solution. I was able to chat with a microsoft tech since they offer free help to any one with vista basic and or sp1 for it so they worked with me for about 7 hours and told me that they would be able to fix it so they remotely took control over the desktop with my permission and i could stop them at any time and nothing so they set it up for the next day for a tech #2 to call me back so he did and said my system was corrupted since i ended with my chat my whole system went black and sht down and would not let me get to my desktop or the start button just that my windows was not active and i only had the choice to hit close and i would and it would log me off or to contact acer so i wold click on the option of contacting acer and it would bring up my internet browser   and then i would click
    file
    open file
    click on C:/
    windows
    system32
    and then on the top right corner i would type in the search bar "cmd" and then let the results come in but had to make sure that on the bottom it says "ALL FILES"
    then i would right click on "cmd" with the command prompt icon
    choose "run as administrator"
    the command prompt will come up and type in "explorer.exe"
    anf hit enter and your desktop will come back up as well as the start button

so after i did all that i was able to back up my files and do a whole system restore and now my pc is genuine after all that

Before i was going to restore my computer with all my old files i downloaded windows essentials for my virus protect and wanted to try that before installing AVG again and i ran a full scan on my external hard drive and i found out that i i had a "trojandownloader.asx/bf"

Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hello gonza035uwpedu,

From your post it appears you have already found a resolution to the issue you had previously.  In addition it looks like the Anti-virus program has just told you what ultimatly caused that issue.

Do you have a question you want answered or a continuing issue you want troubleshot?

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 18, 2010 11:01 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:20 PM