Shares dissapearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

I am stumped here, installed vail with no problems, installed the connector on 3 pc's all went fine created user accounts for all three users again all went fine. Then all of a sudden when trying to to access the shared folders using either my log in of User-compuetrname and password i am unable to see the shared folders. Tried logging in as administrator with the server password and the same thing happens. I initially set all the permissions for the various users when adding them and it worked firn for a few days then all of a sudden the only directories i could see when clicking the shared folders link on my desktop was the music directory.

I went into the server dashboard and accessed the users tab and it has zero listing for shared folders. Seems there is no way to edit permissions as it is a completley blank ie:listes no shared folders whatsoever.

I have temporarily made them accessable but had to remote in and go into the network sharing and manually share each of the drives  v:/videos X:/recorder tv ect ect 

Any idea on how to fix this? do i need to restore the server and hope i don't lose the TB's of data on the server?

I am using 4 drives in this config

Main drive is a WD 1TB Black that has the OS

Three 2TB Western Digital Green drives

Gigabyte H55n Mini ITX  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3455#ov

4Gigs Corsair DDR3 1333

Core 13 550 proc

Chenbro ES34069  http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_cat.php?pos=33

This server was built specificly for running vail and it works like a dream as the size is small like the acer easy store h340 but is much more powerful and it was built to replace my acer system as it didn't have the horsepower to transcode video expecially anything in hd.

The nice thing is i can pop in an i5 if i find the i3 is causing any slow dows in transcoding but at the moment using Twonky it works just great, as the built in media streaming with vail seems buggy but hoping the release version the get transcoding to run smooth and support mkv conversion so my ps3 will be happy, but in the meantime the new server with vail and twonky runs fine

Please help

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:28 PM

Answers

• Have you reported a bug on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:37 PM

All replies

• Have you reported a bug on Connect?
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:37 PM
  • I am stumped here, installed vail with no problems, installed the connector
    on 3 pc's all went fine created user accounts for all three users again all
    went fine. Then all of a sudden when trying to to access the shared folders
    using either my log in of User-compuetrname and password i am unable to see
    the shared folders. Tried logging in as administrator with the server
    password and the same thing happens. I initially set all the permissions for
    the various users when adding them and it worked firn for a few days then
    all of a sudden the only directories i could see when clicking the shared
    folders link on my desktop was the music directory.
    ----
    My username is Nancy Ward for logging onto the Dashboard and my computer;
    however, when my shared folders were set up, for some odd reason, Vail will
    allow me to only reach them as Nancy (Ward is depracated) with the same
    password I set up for everything else. Long shot, but maybe try that?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Any idea on how to fix this? do i need to restore the server and hope i don't lose the TB's of data on the server?

Hi,
    FWIW: I have seen this happening one or two times on my test-server. Restarting the server allways resolved the problem for me.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Hello

Sorry for the delayed response i have been quite ill. Anyhow I have not reported it on connect but i think i found my problem err well not sure if it was the cause but i have not found a solution either. I think what happeend is i allowed disk defragmentor to run and after defraging everything, not just the main operating system drive is when the shares dissapeared. Please don't quote me on this but i have racked my brain and it is the only solution i can think off. If i remember correctly all was fine for days and days up until i ran the built in defragmentor.

After searching the forums i came accross a post saying defrag was causing problems and this is what triggered my memory as to when abouts my shares disssapered. 

Any one able to come to a fix on getting the shares to show up again without re-installing the server? i have tried everything from logging in as admin to all the different user accounts the do not show up for any of them unless i go in and manually set sharing for each drive the way we would do in windows 7 or vista ect by editing the advanced sharing properties of each drive.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Per an announcement at the top of this forum, you should not use disk defragmenting tools on this version of Vail. The next beta release won't have drive extender, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for retrieving your shares, if they're gone, there's nothing I know of that will get them back if the "drives" that they lived on are gone.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:02 PM