Suggest more flexibility with back-ups suggestion 2 RRS feed

• Question

• When configuring backups it would be nice to have the option to un-select all files in the backup list. That way if I only wanted to backup one folder on a system I wouldn't have to go though the long procedure excluding all the rest of the folders one at a time.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 1:48 AM

Answers

•  Jimi Two Feathers wrote:
    When configuring backups it would be nice to have the option to un-select all files in the backup list. That way if I only wanted to backup one folder on a system I wouldn't have to go though the long procedure excluding all the rest of the folders one at a time.

This has been/is now being discussed in multiple threads here...  Short answer, WHS isn't designed as a file backup solution, but as a full system backup solution.  If you just want to backup a few files/directories, then a client side backup option pointing to WHS is a better way to go.  Give SyncToy a try and I think you'll find it gets the job done alot better for those "limited backup" machines.

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:03 PM

All replies

•  Jimi Two Feathers wrote:
    When configuring backups it would be nice to have the option to un-select all files in the backup list. That way if I only wanted to backup one folder on a system I wouldn't have to go though the long procedure excluding all the rest of the folders one at a time.

This has been/is now being discussed in multiple threads here...  Short answer, WHS isn't designed as a file backup solution, but as a full system backup solution.  If you just want to backup a few files/directories, then a client side backup option pointing to WHS is a better way to go.  Give SyncToy a try and I think you'll find it gets the job done alot better for those "limited backup" machines.

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I have been using Fileback PC from Maximum Output on my other servers for sometime now and I'm very happy with it. Just didn't know if it was compatible with WHS.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:46 PM
  • I'll vote with Jimi --

First, I love SyncToy!  Great job, MS.

However, I was hoping WHS would be a more automated and robust backup; I want to put certain files on the RAID, and I don't really give a good lovely about backing up the whole computer.   A good reinstall from year to year is a good way to clean up the OS. 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:43 AM