Is deauthorization of XP required? How is this accomplished? RRS feed

• Question

• I have XP Pro (Retail - Not OEM) installed on a hard drive that I have not used for a while.  I would like to install the drive onto a new computer (currently w/ no hard drive installed).  I was assuming there would be no problem, but unfortunately I was told that I can't just do that.  From what I hear, I must remove (deauthorize) XP from the hard drive first, then install / format the hard drive on the new computer, and then I get to install and activate the key on the new computer.  Is this correct?  If so, how do I remove (daactivate/deauthorize) the XP key from a drive I haven't used for a while?
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:57 AM

Answers

• All you need to do is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.  When prompted to activate Windows, use the internet method.  If it is not successful, then choose the alternate method to "activate by phone".

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Randy,

Are you using the XP Pro on any system @ the moment or is this XP Pro just resident on the Hard Drive which is sitting around not currently in use?  Also what version of XP Pro is installed on the hard drive? Is the version Retail, OEM? If this is the case then reformat the hard drive and perform a clean install on the hard drive. You may have to telephone activate afterward but you should not have any problem. The only problem you may have is if the version of XP was an OEM version. OEM versions are tied to the original system which it was initially installed on. Please read your End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:12 PM
  • :-)... Thank you for your kind words. Randy have a super weekend and if you need WGA assistance please stop by we will do OUR best to assist you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:32 PM

All replies

• All you need to do is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.  When prompted to activate Windows, use the internet method.  If it is not successful, then choose the alternate method to "activate by phone".

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Randy,

Are you using the XP Pro on any system @ the moment or is this XP Pro just resident on the Hard Drive which is sitting around not currently in use?  Also what version of XP Pro is installed on the hard drive? Is the version Retail, OEM? If this is the case then reformat the hard drive and perform a clean install on the hard drive. You may have to telephone activate afterward but you should not have any problem. The only problem you may have is if the version of XP was an OEM version. OEM versions are tied to the original system which it was initially installed on. Please read your End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:12 PM
  • No muss, no fuss?  I like.  Thanks muchly.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 8:06 AM
  • The OS is just sitting on a hard disk just sitting on the shelf.  I believe I upgraded it to SP2 before removing it from my system.  The version is Retail (not OEM). 

It's surprisingly simple.  I've just heard a bunch of horror stories about moving the XP OS to another system.  Thanks for the info.  Your the man. 

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:14 AM
  • :-)... Thank you for your kind words. Randy have a super weekend and if you need WGA assistance please stop by we will do OUR best to assist you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:32 PM