HPET support RRS feed

• Question

• I have found this function in the BOIS in both my Vail x64 machine and W7 x64 machine. Brief reading suggests this should enable better 64 bit support however on both machines the driver won't install and I get a driver error for PCI Simple Communications Controller.

Does anyone know why the driver won't load or whether this will make any difference to performance on either machine?

W7: 16 GB Ram, SATA II HD on AHCI, Intel DG45ID mobo, HPET enabled

Vail: 6 GB Ram, 2 x SATA II on AHCI Native SATA, Gigabyte P965 mobo, HPET set to 64 bit.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:15 PM

All replies

• Are you installing drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:09 PM
  • The drivers for the Vail machine were multi OS. I have rectified the driver issue by installing the Intel Management Engine. W7 PC appears much more responsive as a result. 

WHS Vail however seems to have lost it's data. The drives for the shares are there however when I double click Vail asks me if I want to format the drive.

I am tempted to do either a fresh install or a server reinstall. Given the fact that the shares are not present, and all my docs are from a back up anyway does a fresh install sound the best way forward? (unless there are any suggestions to recover the shares?)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Joe, please submit a bug report for this on Connect, and be sure to include logs collected from your server with the Vail log collector tool. Bug reports are very important; they are the primary reason for a beta test, since Microsoft can only learn about (and hopefully fix) bugs that are actually found by someone, reported, and identified.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I have submitted the bug.

As the server is now useless I am going to reinstall. I need to know, should I be using the supplied AHCI install driver from Gigabyte or will Vail take care of this itself?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:44 AM