Rename Visual Basic to B# RRS feed

• Question

• Please rename Visual Basic to B#, and give B# absolute parity with C#.

The very name Visual "Basic" implies that this is a beginner language.  Of course, this is not true since B# is equal in power, features, and speed to C#.  B# was designed to be easier to code--not requiring semi-colons or brackets.  The syntax of most statements is easier to read and understand.  B# should be given absolute parity with C# within the Microsoft culture.

Today there is confusion because the old non-managed VB 6 is still around.  VB.NET is variously referred to as "VB", "VB.NET", "Visual Basic", "Visual Basic.net"

Renaming VB.NET to B# will eliminate naming confusion and give this superior language the status it deserves.  The new name B# will be consistent with other Microsoft languages: C#, F#.  

Finally, B# reads as the positive interjection: "Be sharp!", which is certainly true of those who recognize the value of this language.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

OK - will do!

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Why stop there at B?

As long as we are changing lets change it to A#.

No, lets change it to A+++.

How about:

A:)

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:38 PM
  • This is a development forum for development questions.  You can post suggestions to User Voice, but know that this same idea has been floated (and rejected) before.

C# and VB.Net are not intended for the same audience and it doesn't make sense to expect them to perform the same in all ways.  In fact, most VB.Net users wouldn't like that because there are lots of things that VB.Net does easier (or better).  See this post by Anthony D. Green, the program manager for VB (who, by the way, is about the only person who could do anything about this).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:58 PM
  • Please rename Visual Basic to B#, and give B# absolute parity with C#.

VB.NET will never have parity with C#. C# is controlled by the ECMA and ISO standard committees, which MS is just one vote on each committee. MS doesn't own C#. C# is an ISO and ECMA standard.

VB.NET is proprietary to MS and it is not a standard.  

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:11 PM
  • As DA924x mentions those are the real reasons why VB.Net isn't in consideration compared to C# which is internationally standardized language.

VB.Net is an awesome language but so are others I suppose.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:49 PM
  •  I think it is a strange coincidence that this thread seems to be almost identical to the thread below which was asked not long ago.  Perhaps this is the same person with two different accounts?  Who voted (+5) on this?  Perhaps the same person with two different accounts?

Please change the name of Visual Basic = B#

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

well I think the OP wants to somehow increase the reputation and acceptance of VB.Net by developers writing more than just beginner programs. In my opinion the best wayy to do this is to simply write some cool programs in VB, and thats probably what we all try to do here I guess :-)

[I'm doing some experiments with shifting GraphicsPaths like levelsets (not scaling/transforming, but kind of shifting inwards), because all segmentation tools are just as good as the photograph allows and so the cropped ROI might have a small amount of Background in it, so there's sometimes need for me to shift parts of the path about half a pixel inwards...]

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

well I think the OP wants to somehow increase the reputation and acceptance of VB.Net by developers writing more than just beginner programs. In my opinion the best wayy to do this is to simply write some cool programs in VB, and thats probably what we all try to do here I guess :-)

[I'm doing some experiments with shifting GraphicsPaths like levelsets (not scaling/transforming, but kind of shifting inwards), because all segmentation tools are just as good as the photograph allows and so the cropped ROI might have a small amount of Background in it, so there's sometimes need for me to shift parts of the path about half a pixel inwards...]

Regards,

Thorsten

Can't wait to see the result of that even if I can't understand it.

La vida loca

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:10 AM

• Can't wait to see the result of that even if I can't understand it.

La vida loca

Hi,

current stage of demo: (not everything commented yet (but the shiftcoords method is) and some bugs still in it, but working - outline the image first, set shift and other options and hit the "show" button... )

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aunk9dshveXVrhaA0GGDz2IGOSmx

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:50 AM

• Can't wait to see the result of that even if I can't understand it.

La vida loca

Hi,

current stage of demo: (not everything commented yet (but the shiftcoords method is) and some bugs still in it, but working - outline the image first, set shift and other options and hit the "show" button... )

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aunk9dshveXVrhaA0GGDz2IGOSmx

Regards,

Thorsten

Okay. I downloaded it and will see what it does which will be beyond my imagination probably!

Don't have .Net 4.6.1 so can't run it. :( Can't afford the data to update to 4.6 either!

La vida loca

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Yea this is an often made mistake. The program language done in Visual Studio Net are:

1. Visual Basic
    2. Visual C++
    3. Visual C#
    4. Visual F#

Why the # in the name F# and  C# is probably the same reason as the lost Visual J#. Probably the same as Microsoft took the word Visual before Visual Basic Script. The marketing guys who made that name know very few what the product is, more something magical. 

However, it is the same as still the name VB.Net is used. It is in fact .Net VB instead of Com VB. 

We can give "bread" another name, which sounds more sophisticated but that will only be used by a certain group of persons.  

Only C# has the problem that its ruling is done by a group of own selected persons. Which means that in future it will be as weird as currently Cobol looks for which was done the same. 

However, most see Visual C# as a program language, while it is in fact more .Net and Visual Studio tools then C#. C# is only like Basic a small set of keywords and operators.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:33 AM

• Okay. I downloaded it and will see what it does which will be beyond my imagination probably!

Don't have .Net 4.6.1 so can't run it. :( Can't afford the data to update to 4.6 either!

La vida loca

Hi, which version do you have? I think can build it with I guess fw 4.0 and upwards...

I also fixed some bugs and added an open button...

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:58 PM