Restore only the OS on a client RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to restore only the OS on a client machine? I have a laptop (my wife's actually so this is serious) that has gotten pretty sluggish, ( too many installs of redundant apps most likely) and I want to know if I can use the system restore CD to only restore XP Media center. I plan to take my usual action of a reformat and re- install but that means running windows update a bunch of times before re-installing the core apps she really uses.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:36 PM

Answers

• If you are attempting to restore from an existing backup you have done on your WHS, the answer is no. Best bet would be to wipe the laptop, reinstall the OS, update it with WU, and then install WHS connector and then backup the laptop with a manual backup.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:40 PM

All replies

• If you are attempting to restore from an existing backup you have done on your WHS, the answer is no. Best bet would be to wipe the laptop, reinstall the OS, update it with WU, and then install WHS connector and then backup the laptop with a manual backup.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I suspected as much but it never hurts to ask, thanks for the quick response
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:48 PM
  • I need help fast, I have reformated my laptop Windows Xp but now i cannot get connected ti internet either wireless or ethernet, any suggestions, I realise my drivers will be wiped but how do i get them reinstalled, i have tried but cant seem to get my wireless card activated.........I am going to scream...

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I hope you have access to another pc.  Download the drivers for the wireless card on another pc and save them to a flash drive or burn a cd.  Or, dig through your box o' software to find the driver cd that came with your laptop.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:39 PM