TV tuner plugin needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a tv tuner in my server (its original a medion home media pc with cyberlink tv software...)
    I know that when i install the audio drivers (from c-media) my server dont boot anymore i have to disable the audio device in safe mode and then the server works again.
    But is it possible to record live tv on WHS and with the WHS console i can set a time and channel to record?
    This would be great so i have a multi functional device in the house to take care of ALL things.
    The server is currently directly connected to a wide screen tv so if it would be possible to view the recorded program too would be great (but i could use windows media player too)

Sorry for my bad english im still learning it Wink

Regards,
    Dennis

Friday, June 15, 2007 3:22 PM

All replies

• A simple way to do it would be to have your TV tuner in your Media Center PC and set that up as a media Center extender then feasibly any pc on your network could acess your tuner

If you insist on having your tuner inside your home server box then I would do one of 2 things

A. Go to Microsoft downloads and grab the MPEG 4 Encoder, make your TV tuner the source and then you could enable a stream on your network of your TV signal.
    B.  Download orb (www.orb.com) which will make it easy to set up your Tv signal to be shared across your network, as well as other media.  Whats nice about orb is its fully compatible with XBOX 360 seeing as how the 360 has no avi decoder soo if you dont want to be converting all your files to .wmv's  orbs software will transmit the stream to your XBOX without any problems.

The only problem i forsee is changing channels but you could always just remote in to your server and manually change the channel would be nice to see a plugin do that automatically but theres a lot of issues that would get in the way. 
    Monday, June 18, 2007 9:21 PM
  • I just tried to get Orb to work, but it wouldn't start - it would just keep saying "Orb is Stopping" whenever I would start it. I don't even want it for the TV tuner, just to stream my media from the server. if you have managed to get it to work it would be nice to know, especially if it involves any tweaks.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:08 AM
  • I have configured it to work without having to tweak any settings,
    however you might want to check your services.msc see if you can find anything odd there

if you cant get orb to work webguide 4 will do the same thing it will set up a web guide prisim server your xbox 360 will be able to see and stream all your media plus it has some other really nice functionality 
    http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1519
    is the download link
    and
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1749182&SiteID=50
    is the forum link where its being discussed and troubleshot, ( Its in Beta same as WHS)
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:28 AM
  • I'll try as soon as possible the TVE3 server from MediaPortal. You can view the streaming into MediaPortal on other PC in your LAN.
    There`s also a plugin to view the stream of this server into MCE.

Regards
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Well with windows media pc my tv tuner dont work
    With the pc i have a remote control in the server just like a tv.
    First of all i cant find the MPEG 4 Encoder on the microsft site.
    Orb is not an tv tuner software.
    And windows media encoder cant find the input from the tv tuner i dont know why becaue if i use the manufacture preinstalled system it can.
    And all drivers are installed weird but ok...
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Hi, finally i have been time this weekend and i tried the TVE3 engine from MediaPortal into WHS, and the result is definitively perfect.

It works as a service in WHS and can tune all the tuners you can put on your PC: ATSC, NTSC, DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-C... all together and streaming to the other PC's on your lan.

It uses SQL server and the total amount of RAM usage is about 35 Mb, so I really recommended it.

Monday, July 2, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I plan on trying SageTV on my WHS server as soon as I pick up a couple more TV tuners. It runs as a service and has clients available as well.

An add-in would still be nice.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 9:05 PM
  • got it working with a cyberlink powercinema
    mediaportal dont work as either windows media encoder
    thanks for the help.
    now still a plugin if someone can make this Smile
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 4:14 PM
  •  

I'm trying SageTV 6 today...how'd you make out?  I'll reply back with my findings.
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 10:14 PM
  • The latest version of Sage is working fine here.  Kinda disappointed on how limited the Sage tab is.  I don't have any need to use the built in client so I can't say how that works.  I am really pleased though that I have been able to get rid of my old dedicated Sage server and integrate it into WHS.  

bf124
    Monday, November 5, 2007 1:11 AM