Streaming User created Folders to xbox 360 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built WHS that I've had running for a few months. I'm primarily using it for all of my video and audio files as well as backups of my laptop and desktop. About a month ago my roommates bought a Xbox 360 and set it up on our 37" tv. I wanted to set up my WHS to stream my videos to their xbox as we have a ____ load of them. The only issue I'm having is that WHS does not stream user created shares. I have one share that I created called "Movies" and then I'm using the prebuilt share "Recorded TV" to hold my video files. Is there an add-on or setting I'm missing that would let me stream these folders? I know that the files are Xbox compatible I just need to get them onto the Xbox from the server. Any help would be beyond appreciated.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• The built in media server only supports that small set of folders for sharing:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/share.mspx.

There may be some way around this.  Alternatively, you could use an add-on media server like TwonkyMedia Server.  I don't think it's supported by Twonky just yet (except the MediaSmart version), but there are others who have used it successfully.

The other option would be just to move your media to the default folders.  I'm guessing you're not interested in that, but it is an option.  If the goal is to keep your stuff separate from your roommates stuff, you could always just create sub folders for each person.

Good luck, hopefully you can figure out something that works well for you.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:37 PM