Backup Service not running - repair does not complete RRS feed

• Question

• Having an issue with the backup service.  Tried repairing, but it appears to hang or ot complete.  It all started when I tried deleting one of my computers from the computers and users list (I had updated it to Win7, and changed the name - so I was deleting the old name from the list).

Well, this morning, it looked like it went into a CHKDSK type screen, where it said it found files with bad ID's, and was changing file Id's to default (or something to that nature).

When I was able to logon, it said back service was not running, all of the backup status were "Unkown" and I did a repair - but it just sat there for many hours.  Nothing seemed to fix the issue.

Should I do a reinstall of WHS?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi John,
    if the backup database is seriously broken, a repair does not help a lot.
    A first point of view would be the event log. If errors here point to a damaged disk (ntfs errors or disk errors) replace the faulty disk first.

If not, you can try to delete the backup database manually:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by John Skurka Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:12 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi John,
    if the backup database is seriously broken, a repair does not help a lot.
    A first point of view would be the event log. If errors here point to a damaged disk (ntfs errors or disk errors) replace the faulty disk first.

If not, you can try to delete the backup database manually:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by John Skurka Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:12 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Olaf:

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions on how to fix the issue with the backup repair.  It appears as though we're back up and running!

John
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:13 PM