none
Which hard drive to use as my system drive? RRS feed

• Question

•  
    I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and ready to start building my WHS. I am going to purchase 2x 1tb drives along with an existing 200gb drive.

My question is: should I use the 200gb drive as my system drive and leave my two new equal size 1tb drives for the duplication, or go with the recommended configuration of using the largest drive as the system drive? If i go with the latter, does that mean any data over 200gb will then be spread over the three drives? Is it not best to have the OS and data on different drives if possible?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 1:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    with an up to date WHS the data partition on the primary disk will normally not be used for data in a 3 disk scenario as long as the other disks supply enough space for data in shared folders, duplicates and the backup database.

So using the 200 GB disk as system drive should be fine (or you could leave out that disk at all and use the two 1 TB disks exclusively instead, if you don't really need the storage = less noise and power consumption).

This disk could be used as target for backups of shared folders (ideally connected via USB or ESATA in this case) and be stored offsite to avoid total data loss in case of a real disaster.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 26, 2008 1:13 PM