Suggestion: Continue failed backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here's the background:

One machine in the house is connected to the network with an 802.11b adapter.  I know this is not optimal, but it works fine for most uses.

I've been trying to back this machine up for more than a week, and each backup is failing with a lost connection.  Furthermore, it seems like the next backup then has to start over.

Two requests:
    1. Can you make the next backup continue from the previous failed backup?
    2. Can you make files in failed backups accessible so that should the worst happen, at least the files that were already backed up are still there.

I realize that the obvious recommendation is to temporarily connect the computer using a different method.  However, having the backup be able to actually succeed in this environment would IMHO improve ease-of-use quite a bit.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:16 AM

All replies

• Because the backup technology relies on shadow copies on the client PC, I don't think resuming a failed backup will be possible. I like the idea of making as much as was fully backed up available to the user even from a failed backup, though.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:44 PM
  • I don't necessarily need it to actually complete the failed backup, it would be enough if the next backup could use the failed one as a base for incremental backing up.  It seems to me like the cluster sharing technology (or whatever it is called) should help implement something like this.  If WHS can avoid redundantly backing something up that is in another computer's backup, it seems like it ought to be able to use the failed backup in the same way.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:49 AM