New Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of buying a new computer and want to know if I do and use several of the parts from my old one in the new one can I use the same copy of Windows XP Pro in the new computer? I will disassemble the old computer and "never" use it again.. I need to know whether or not to buy a new copy of XP.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• Jim Tepe,

Running the utility and posting its report along with answering the questions about your CoA will help to provide an accurate answer to your question.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key that's on the CoA

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Jim Tepe,

Now that we know you have a retail license, Windows License Type: Retail, "Yellow/Orange label with Black lettering with my Product Key," we can tell you that it can be transferred to another computer.

If your Retail license is a retail Upgrade license, you must first have the CD for, or have installed, a qualifying upgradeable Windows installation on the new computer, which you would then upgrade using the Upgrade license.

If you have a full Retail license, there is no need for a previous OS on the new computer.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:44 AM

All replies

• Jim Tepe,

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Dan,

I just ordered the new computer yesterday. I did not order any hard drive as I have 2 pretty large ones now. I did not get a CD ROM drive as I have a good one now. I did not order a operating system as I want to transfer my license to the new one after I take apart the old one. I suspect that either or both the mother board or the processor chip is going bad and I want to get an new one before  its to late.. When I get the new machine and install "my" hard drives and other parts from the old one, I will do a clean install of XP Pro SP2 from my Microsoft supplied CD, I do hope to transfer the license to the new machine, and this is what I was asking. I will take all other parts out and try to sell them on Craigs list.

Will I be able to transfer the license to the new computer??

Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Jim Tepe,

Running the utility and posting its report along with answering the questions about your CoA will help to provide an accurate answer to your question.

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:59 AM
  • I do not have the new computer yet. It was shipped today. The answers to your questions are;

1. Windows XP Pro Sp2

2. Yellow/Orange label with Black lettering with my Product Key. It was on the paper CD package supplied directly from Microsoft.

3. No computer manufacturer's name.

below is pasted the report by the utility.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2R2P4-RKV7F-6DJGD
    Windows Product Key Hash: nJpcrtNWZQHe9qv2eKCCji8kEgw=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-015-9326573-22789
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {A76AD0CA-227B-48AC-BC01-8153D1F704DC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Maxthon\maxthon.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A76AD0CA-227B-48AC-BC01-8153D1F704DC}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-6DJGD</PKey><PID>76487-015-9326573-22789</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-746137067-484061587-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KM400-8237</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040716000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>98593FE70184227B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

______________________________________________________________________________

Now can someone please answer my question. Can I transfer my license???

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:10 AM
  • Jim Tepe,

Now that we know you have a retail license, Windows License Type: Retail, "Yellow/Orange label with Black lettering with my Product Key," we can tell you that it can be transferred to another computer.

If your Retail license is a retail Upgrade license, you must first have the CD for, or have installed, a qualifying upgradeable Windows installation on the new computer, which you would then upgrade using the Upgrade license.

If you have a full Retail license, there is no need for a previous OS on the new computer.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Thank You Dan. That was what I was hoping for.

Yes, I have a full retail license, My new computer should be delivered on Friday and will switch hardware and load OS on Saturday.                                     

Thanks

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Jim Tepe,

There's nothing like a nice squeaky clean installation of XP on a brand new computer---pure as the driven snow!

The single best thing you can do to assure yourself of a responsible and safe computing experience is to perform your day-to-day computing tasks while logged on with a Limited User account, and only log on with a Computer Administrator account when the task at hand requires administrator-level privileges.

Good Luck with you new rig

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:42 AM