none
Windows 7 Security settings issue? / WHS compatability issue between Console and Add-ins Folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Today, after having spent 30 minutes on the phone with McAfee technical support and then 2 hours on the phone with ACER technical support it appears that a common postion is crystalizing between them regarding a possible compatability problem between the shared folders/software/add-in folder and the WHS console being able to see what's inside in terms of M.S.I. files (specific file is topwhsaddIn4.9ACER.msi) in order to install on the server. I have 2 ACER Aspire Easy Store home servers H340 both of which have the identical issue. Acer technical support advised that Remote desktop is disabled by default under W7 by Microsoft. All  4 computers attached to the server use W7. McAfee and ACER have checked my files and folders permissions and noted that Home Server Discovery (Discovery .exe) and Home Server Oobe (WHSOOBE.exe) keep defaulting back to Outbound-Only Access from Full Access at each system re-start which may have something to do with this problem in terms of W7 security settings? Even so, they consider that there is another underlying compatability issue within WHS that has not been fully identified. ACER have discounted software corruption of the factory settings files as the same image has been used on hundreds of identical hard discs without issue. Acer also advised that there should be a utility within WHS to view SYS folders in the partioned drive supplied however as per my other unanswered post (link below) no clarification has been forthcoming. Acer have their own utility which they advise was not supplied with the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 as WHS is supposed to provide this functionality. Where is this function in the Console settings? I restored to Factory Settings again yesterday and have no data on the disc. Re-installed WHS is currently running with Power Pack 2 V6.0.2030.0 If anyone has suggestions regarding W7/WHS security settings which they consider would impact then please advise and I will attempt. Other than that are forum moderators aware of any such issue as described which Microsoft WHS Team are currently investigating?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f8538728-f34b-41f6-bcfa-e081c14b36bc

• Moved by SachinWModerator Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:38 AM Not Related to Forum issues (From:Forums Issues (not product support))
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since posting earlier I have downloaded the Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1 (32-Bit) for the server and placed inside the add-ins beside the topwhsaddIn4.9ACER.msi. I cannot see this msi file either from the WHS admin console.

I located this on the internet:  The Windows Home Server team keeps an eye on the community forums and tries to understand specific issues in greater detail.  Sometimes people are willing to work with the team to isolate the issue, and other times they simply disappear before the team can get enough data and details to learn about the persons’ unique environment and exact “repro” steps.

I would be delighted if the WHS team contacts me, initially by posting to this forum thread and I can finally work thru with WHS experts these recurring server software problems.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in the 'Windows Home Server Software located here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/threads

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

I did post there 16+ hours ago after realising it was in the wrong forum 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b40a33c3-a191-41bb-ac32-13c2aa82ee06

You too have a great day!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:51 PM